• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the realoem prices shown for real?

f1reverb

Because they aren't for my local BMW dealer. For the price of the nuts I could get a center-bearing or guibo.

SELF-LOCKING HEX NUT M10 8 03/1966 07/1977 07129964672 $0.36

My dealer $1.89.

DUST PROTECTION 1 26113748138 $1.59

My dealer $8.51

Do any BMW dealers sell at the realoem prices?

It says on the site it's only a list price. When searching by part number online, I found it was very close to the prices available from many stores (in fact many of the parts were cheaper).

They are called $tealerships for a reason.

1976 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

2002 Topaz Blue BMW M3 Convertible

This is one of the major Los Angeles dealers. The charge 20+ bucks for an '02 oil filter too. I've been going to 'em since they opened in 1974, and even then they were list + 20%, which when you need a part quick I'll tolerate. But, it's no wonder people feel gouged by the dealers when they jack prices up to ridiculous heights. I'd hate to see their price on an M10 remanufactured engine. An independent business is entitled to charge whatever they want and I don't have to shop there, and that's the last time I even talk to them. Besides, even when you go there to get a part you have to wait up to fifteen minutes before someone comes out of the interior cave to even wait on you. Even the parts guys I've known forever there are embarassed by the prices.

I believe Realoem is not really an ecommerce site, rather a thoughtful person or persons who put this data online for enthusiast consumption. The catalog was recently updated to Jan 2010 prices. As lots of people and likely CD will point out, the dealership can make adjustments to the recommended prices at will, they are free to make a profit and usually do.

I have found that Max's site http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/is about 20% less than my local dealer. My local dealer offers 10% off for BMWCCA members, so on larger items that are expensive to ship, I'm better off going local with a 10% discount AND sales tax than 20% off and paying shipping.

I have not personally purchased anything from http://www.penskeparts.com/fiche.aspx but the prices seem close to Max's.

Don't forget http://www.autohausaz.com/ for things like rotors and pads (free shipping, no sales tax) and www.bavauto.com for decent prices, no sales tax and free shipping on large orders (but not very large bulky things)

-=Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Not intended as a defense of D(St)ealerships, but realize the whole business picture for them has changed over the past years.

First, manufacturers are placing a lot of the warranty burden on the dealers, making new car sales less profitable.

Franchise territories have shrunk so the Mfgr. can get as many pins on the map as possible - where there was once only 1 BMW dealer in my city, there are now 3.

Then, franchise requirements have caused an increase in operating costs as well as increases in lease hold improvements - Capuccinno machines, Big screens with cable, Wi-Fi and Business Centers.

So, naturally, Service and Parts are being pumped to help make up the differences.

Again, not trying to defend them, but these things do affect the way they must now do business.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

IMC, World Pac, SSF are the lowest prices. However I know that not everybody can buy from them you have to have an account or have access to someone with an account. But thats what all the power sellers on the FAQ do. an example would be I just bought a water pump for my 76 02 for $44.95 with the gasket. oil filter $3.75 everybody just out to rip off all the little people that cant do anything about it.

Guest Anonymous

Here in Western Mass. my local BMW dealer-Flynn BMW-VW will beat Partsforbmws.com prices every visit and my independent import store pelhamautoparts.com will match any internet price I find about 98% of the time. Flynn BMW is in Pittsfield Mass.

You need to keep a couple of things in mind. realoem is a cloned website for one. Second, dealer pricing on line can change from day to day based on production issues/demand and lastly the current exchange rate. This does not even address the parts and service managers view on how he wants to address the pricing. Remember, it's a suggested retail price, not written in stone. I know as I have been the parts manager or P&S Director in either a BMW dealer, a Mercedes dealer or a Porsche-Audi dealer for 40 years. It all comes down to the guy in charge and the marketplace. On your question re: pricing as of 8.10 per BMWNA:

26-11-3-748-138 B1 DUST PROTECTION 1.57 List

07-12-9-964-672 B0 B1 SELF-LOCKING HEX NUT 0.38 List

I's a clone of... umm, a clown?

I cross- check RMEuropean- they 'clone' a similar site differently.

Often, they win, because their shipping goes to 'free' well before a $100 order.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed a DRAMATIC disparity in pricing between dealers and the RealOEM site this past month. In the past there wasn't too much difference. It probably takes a lot of effort to keep the OEM site up-to-date, but now the list price of door gaskets is $285.48 by a dealer in the NW. Don't even think of replacing the waist molding anymore.