• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Impressive Metal Work! wow! (nt)

josh72ooh2

Check out the metalwork on my crunched/rear ended 02!

I'm so happy she is showing signs of life again.

Some people told me i needed the whole side and/or rear panels replaced...

The guy who did the repair is an old staunchy guy who has been working metal for years. I am very impressed with his work... the inside of the trunk looks great too.

PHEW, everything is going to be OK... Thanks to the other driver's insurance...

post-17221-13667629755519_thumb.jpg

post-17221-13667629756496_thumb.jpg

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Did he re-weld metal back in or did he bang it out? My 69 came with the back tailight section pressed in and I had good luck banging it back to shape. Looks good, bet you are ready to get it painted and back out cruising again....

that's great. so there's no panel replacement, right?

there's a book available from Eastwood and other venders called "The Key to Metal Bumping" that illustrates the old methods of straightening fenders and such.

in a nutshell, it states that the sequence of straightening is the reverse of the actual damage, so that the point of impact is straightened last. it requires the knowledge and ability to recognize the progression of the bending metal.

i'm currently reading the book with hopeful intensions.

about your question on paint code...

IIRC Malaga paint code is 032

if you are respraying the whole car then work off that. if you are going to try to color-match to existing (non-OEM, attempt at Malaga), then i will endeavor to send you a small sample of wet paint for comparison.

Malaga, colormatched wet, actually dries to a slightly brick-red appearance, which i actually prefer.....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

That is great metalwork. In twenty years in the bodyshop business, I have seen only one guy do anything like that, it is a lost art. The best part is that, when he does the bodywork, he will probably end up using just a skim coat. It is truly amazing, your guy is really a master craftman.

FAQ Member # 91

That is some impressive work, I'm just wondering how your tail light is still intact after that hit.

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

That is some impressive work, I'm just wondering how your tail light is still intact after that hit.

Crazy huh? that tail light took a punch and is not cracked or shattered.

And yeah, the idea is to add a small skin of bondo and that's it. The guy who worked the metal was a true pro, with zero social skills.

:)

The owner of the shop kept telling me the existing bent metal could be fixed and i had a hard time believing him... until i saw the current state of my car.

I am happy she is in good hands.

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Very impressive indeed!

When my iX was hit in the rear, I took it to a couple of the best and most respected shops in town. Although the damage didn't look too bad, and was not near as bad as yours, all estimates were between $4,500 and $5,200. I was told that the rear panel had to be replaced, because it was a double wall, and could not be banged out. So much for the factory welds and seam sealer ;-(

So, I decided to take my car to a friend who was almost 4 hours away. Although the distance made it a bit inconvenient, it was the best decision I made.

Another true craftsman, who took the extra time to do it right and banged the panel into place, with very little filler needed.

True craftsmen are hard to find these days.

If you see this, thanks again Sean!

His website gives just a small insight into the work he does:

http://www.vintagecoachworks.com/Site_1/Home.html

post-17221-13667629769861_thumb.jpg

post-17221-13667629774658_thumb.jpg

post-17221-13667629775628_thumb.jpg

post-17221-13667629776558_thumb.jpg

73 - '02

88 - M3

88 - iX