• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun with original Honda wheel bearings

jgerock

Today I had fun R&R'ing the right rear wheel bearing/hub assembly on my DD Honda Accord Coupe. There was an irritating noise that got louder after multiple long-distance business trips, so today it was changed in the driveway (2 hours tops including cleaning the inner rotor surfaces - not too hard). You cannot replace just the bearings - the entire hub assembly is replaced and even comes with the wheel studs. The new spindle nut I purchased from RockAuto was too large, so I had to reuse the original one.

The right rear lasted 197,211 miles. I had the left rear changed last October at 181,074 miles.

The view from the outside doesn't look all that bad

8202010006.jpg

Rear view. Note the integral ABS ring and the two top pieces.

8202010001.jpg

Kind of crusty

8202010005.jpg

After the hub was removed, something didn't look right, so I compared the new part with the one I pulled off. The rear (inner) race and sealing ring were stuck to the spindle, so I had to pry and pull them off.

8202010003.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"