• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions please! tropic fan or shroud?

yert315

Alrighty,

I just moved back down to San Antonio, TX and it's a good 15-20 degrees warmer than Pennsylvania. Needless to say, the car is running a little warmer than I'd like it to.

Background info:

- checked everything on C.D.'s list (i.e. timing, bled system, etc).

- flushed cooling system few months ago

- new e21 radiator

- tested working 75C thermostat

- ran right in the middle in PA without problems

It got up to 3/4 on the gauge today which got me worried. Mainly while stopped at a light or going up a hill on the freeway ~70-75mph.

I've noticed many people either use a tropical fan or go with a fan shroud. What route would you guys suggest I take?

I'm in SA and don't run a shroud, and I don't think my fan is tropical. Needle sits dead on center between blue & red, unless I get on the freeway for more than 30 min., then can rise just a bit. Bet either/both would help a little.

I'm afraid it's just fckng hot here from March to November.

Found a shop in SA yet?

Where did you find a hill on a freeway here? (lol)

I have a shroud kicking around somewhere, although not sure it will fit an E21 radiator. If you want it email me.

lescartwright at juno.com

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I have an E21 shroud if ya need it. Also you may need your radiator cleaned out. It could be a finky gauge too, mine does this in Seattle from time to time.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I put a 320i radiator and tropical fan with no shroud on mine years ago when I lived in Tulsa and have never had any issues since. When we did the parade in Yellow Springs on July 4th this year it was in the '90s, and we were setting and idling a lot. It never got above half way. Highly recommended. Be warned it does make more noise, and probably robs a fraction of some horsepower, but worth it in my mind.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

c.d., Stacey & everyone: I thought that the shroud might not be compatible w/the tropic fan. I am looking to replace a slightly chewed up fan blade. I want to get better cooling than I have now. (std. radiator, not a 3 row core) Advice??

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

too warm; probably should have a 76.

Without air, and presuming a nice clean radiator, that should work on your car.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Where did you find a hill on a freeway here? (lol)

I have a shroud kicking around somewhere, although not sure it will fit an E21 radiator. If you want it email me.

lescartwright at juno.com

Nothing like San Francisco hills, but there are quite a few hills here. 1604 east toward 35. I'll e-mail you. Thanks for the offer!

I have an E21 shroud if ya need it. Also you may need your radiator cleaned out. It could be a finky gauge too, mine does this in Seattle from time to time.

AFAIK, the e21 shroud will not fit. Thanks for the offer though! radiator is brand spanking new. Probably put about 3-4k miles on it. I can't imagine how it would be clogged already. I'll have a look at my temp sensor, as I've already added extra grounds to the back of the cluster.

tropic fan WITH shroud .

I was under the impression that these two will not work together. The tropical fan is too large to fit inside the shroud. Am I wrong here?

c.d., Stacey & everyone: I thought that the shroud might not be compatible w/the tropic fan. I am looking to replace a slightly chewed up fan blade. I want to get better cooling than I have now. (std. radiator, not a 3 row core) Advice??

I've thought about putting my stock fan back on since moving up here. Unless you're running an A/C, it rarely gets hot enough up here that a tropical fan is justified, but then we have a day like July 4th and setting and idling and I'm glad it was still on.

The stock shroud will not work with either the tropical fan or the 320i radiator - to my knowledge. There may be an uber rare tropical shroud for a stock '02 radiator, made out of unobtainiam, but I don't think I've seen one. If you're stock blade is chewed up, why not try a tropical to replace it.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC