• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why restore a 2002?

rstl99

Hi all.

The question seems a bit silly, but I am on the outside looking in, have seen a couple of local ads for used 2002's (one in sorry shape, and the other more promising), and am wondering why the 2002 is deemed by many of you as such a worthwhile vehicle to restore, given all the cost and trouble that entails. This is NOT a troll, but an honest question to help me decide if this is what I want to get myself into for the long haul.

I presently own a 1982 Benz 240D auto sedan. Completely rust-free, mechanically excellent, clean car, a delight to own. But somewhat of a slug to drive. I don't consider myself addicted to speed (all my other cars are rather slow), so owning a car known for speed and acceleration is not necessarily my motive in seeking out an older BMW. However, I do like the old-world German engineering, and BMW is always something I've wanted to own at one time. An older Porsche has also held some interest for me, but I gather that 2002's may be more affordable (?).

I am (or used to be, since my reliable current cars don't give me much opportunity to wield my tools) fairly comfortable with mechanical repairs, though at 54 am less enamoured with crawling under a car to do repairs. I am not good at bodywork and don't presently know how to weld. I think part of me likes fixing cars almost as much as driving them, so I figured restoring a classic british or german car would be something good to occupy some of my post-retirement time.

All that being said, is the 2002 the right kind of resto project for me?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Too old to crawl under a car at 54? Wow! I'm 72 and finishing up a 2002 restoration which has lasted at least 20 years. Now I'm retired and can work more on it; it's 95% done. Strange thing is, I've never driven a 2002; however, I've heard and read many good things about that model.

For 38 years, I have driven a BMW motorcycle, 1972 R75/7, which I restored 15 years ago and do admire German engineering. What will I do when I'm done? Drive it; sell it. I don't know, but I may get another old car to restore. My advice: Do it! Get involved!

Francis Ferrance (still crawling under cars)

Wrightwood CA

I would find it hard for anyone to not enjoy having a 2002! Im only 18 years old and it was my first car and I dont regret it. I don't know much about repairing and restoring them yet, my dad helped me with lots of that. But I know they're a blast to drive! Another plus is theres tons of people here that'll help with whatever you need, looking for parts, ideas, certain repairs or problems etc.

------------------------------------------------------------

'73 2002

'77 R75/7

goeslikeschnell2.png

Since you're not a body/paint guy and it sounds like you may not want to do all of your repairs (read - the stuff that requires crawling around on the ground... or buying a lift ;-), I'd suggest finding yourself a well-sorted one rather than doing a full resto yourself... you can find a really, really nice 02 for $8-10k (probably less), then tinker as needed from there.

Also, since I read you enjoy going fast, you should probably consider the Porsche 914 too. They're nowhere near as expensive to work on as the 911's and are a bit faster than the 2002... also handle a bit better too, but all that comes at the expense of the practicality you get from an 02.

Anyway, whatever you decide, have fun!

75 '02

78 M50 swapped E21

95 E34 touring

69 C10 Fleetside

69 Datsun SRL 311 (2012 project)

"Toil and learn or have deep pockets" - a smart guy

Having read you message, I am inclined to think that you would be much happier with a 528e 5 speed.

2002's are not for everybody, they are noisy, smelly, small, lack power steering and air conditioning - but they are a blast to drive... fast.

I used to own a 240D, and actually liked it - I think the 528e's still have that BMW feel, the space, a/c, low end torque and quietness, and more important the classic looks. I used to own one of those too...

FAQ Member # 91

Why restore a 2002?

Because you want a nice one and can't find one you like.

Because you like working on cars.

Because you like doing it yourself.

Because, when it breaks, you like being able to fix it

Because you like learning.

But this is based on a more fundamental question: why DRIVE a 2002?

You should drive a few yourself to answer this question.

As others have accurately noted, they're small, smelly, not particularly

durable, and funny- looking.

But in good shape, they handle very directly.

Which means you have

to be a driver, not a navigator.

They're not fast- they're quick.

Unlike almost anything new. No, unlike ANYTHING new.

And some people still like that.

I do.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

a 911 will be waay more expensive.

And its true, they are not fast....not that quick either(lol) but can be driven quickly!!!!

dont restore one...buy one in good shape....10k will l go a looong way; 5 to 7k will get a very nice car too.

BUT.....

drive one first.

Thanks very much to all for the prompt responses, thoughts and advice!

I admire the gumption of the poster who at 72, has restored one for 20 years!

As a couple of you said, it would be important for me to DRIVE one first, see if it's something I would enjoy driving first of all, before even thinking about buying a specimen and nurse it back to health.

Maybe my fast-car (or quick-car, or whatever) driving days ended with my 1970 Camaro SS many many years ago. Since then, in part due to later infatuation with diesel-engined cars, I seem to have gravitated to slower and slower cars. To the point that my daily driver, a 4 cyl Camry wagon, feels FAST!. So maybe getting behind the wheel of a Porsche, 2002, or british sports car, would feel absolutely strange and uncomfortable.

Speaking of comfort (many of you said the 2002 isn't particularly well served in this area), it does seem to be an increasingly important criteria for me in a car (older bones, more weight, needing a car interior that won't make me feel tired at the end of a long drive).

I wasn't particularly looking for something to REPLACE my mint 240D, but maybe something along a similar vintage/lineage that would provide a different kind of driving experience. Maybe the 2002 would provide that, or maybe a later model (528?) as someone suggested.

Anyway, your thoughts have been very useful to me, and I'll ponder on them before I allow myself to take the plunge on a neglected and abandoned 2002, of which a few specimens seem to pop up around me here.

Bottom line is that I think I WILL get some kind of project vehicle to occupy part of my retired time. For me, that kind of project-car work, be it full restoration or just bringing something back to usable and reliable form, is an enjoyable thing, in the same sense that often a journey is much more rewarding than the actual destination (ie. the restored vehicle). Much too often, I've sold vehicles that I had spent months fixing up, because of that reason.

Best regards!

--Robert

I was going to say the same thing,consider and e30 convertible or a 325is. Great cars and my favorite after a 2002. The convertibles are great fun but don't get a power top or you could spend the remainder of you retirement years trying to get it to work properly.

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

having owned e30's and 2002's, they're completely different

if you like working on cars, as i do (stress therapy), a 2002 is a straight forward car to work on. this board can probably get you thru any issues you run into. plus, almost any part you will need is still made by BMW.

AND, they are just plain fun to drive at any speed. a 2002 with a modest suspension kit is balanced and a blast in any condition, rain or shine.

And, lots of people recognize the cars and like to talk and wave and smile.

and you'll own a piece of history, the car that put BMW on the map so to speak, at least in the USA.

Ans, last but not least, you'll get to know blunt (you poor guy LOL)

72 2002tii

1988 535is 

from one W123 diesel owner to another,

come on in ! the waters fine

you love the simplicity of the 2002 body shell and

the bits attached - simple to work on

almost as good getting parts as M-B - and the available literature as well

more help here than simular M-B message boards

and keep your diesel for the down time with your 02

which should never see rain, salt, water in it's twilite years

W123300DTand2002.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Having owned many E30s and 2002 and e28s I think a E30 is more like a 2002 than an e28 or any other popular BMW. The E30 has become very popular and some people are starting to restore them and even convert them from automatic to standard transmissions.They have good road feel. very solid tight car that is easy to work on. With only minor suspension upgrades very good handling, actually they handle pretty well stock. In my opinion the car to go to if a person likes a 2002 ,but wants something a little more comfortable and a little more modern ,but a BMW that still has great road feel. I do drive a 2002 as an every day car and I am satisfied, but my son wants something a little more modern to commute in so he drives a E30 325is. He has been an autotech for 20 years and says the e30 is the best car he has ever owned and his favorite.

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

Don't take this wrong, Robert, but you're retired? I am 51 & that ain't happening here for a long time to come! That blows my mind. Get an '02 and feel young my friend!! Do it now. Retired to me conjures up Caddy's, Buicks, & Lincoln Town cars in that sick, faded gold color. (with the blinker left on, signalling a turn....) You need that 2002 fix. :)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

from one W123 diesel owner to another,

come on in ! the waters fine

you love the simplicity of the 2002 body shell and

the bits attached - simple to work on

almost as good getting parts as M-B - and the available literature as well

more help here than simular M-B message boards

and keep your diesel for the down time with your 02

which should never see rain, salt, water in it's twilite years

Thanks for the invitation!

One of my practical limitations (applies to any additional car acquisition, really) is SPACE. I own a house with attached 1 car garage (Benz gets that spot, and sleeps there all winter so never sees salt/snow/slush). Then I have a 4 car driveway (2 wide, 2 deep). Beside the Benz, I own a 92 diesel Land Cruiser (for going up to the cottage, and driving the dirt roads around there), and a 96 Camry wagon (all around commuting and everyday car). I won't need a commuting car in about 9 months, but do need a car to sacrifice to the Winter Salt Gods. Don't want to part with the Benz, so that makes 2 potential garage queens (if I add a BMW to the mix). I might part with the Cruiser; a large 4x4 diesel 5 speed SUV is something I feel less of a need for. Oh, I should add: after retirement, I also would like to take some long-distance road trips, so some kind of self-contained travel/camping vehicle would be useful (camper van, or pickup with camper shell).

You can see how this mix of vehicular needs/interests, and my space constraints, are a serious factor. One of the reasons why I didn't yet go see that pair of 2002's for sale locally, for $1500, because where would I put THESE cars, if I fell for them...

It's probably a GOOD thing I don't have a country property with a large barn, because the darn thing would probably be FULL of cars and parts by now... :-)