• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why restore a 2002?

rstl99

Don't take this wrong, Robert, but you're retired? I am 51 & that ain't happening here for a long time to come! That blows my mind. Get an '02 and feel young my friend!! Do it now. Retired to me conjures up Caddy's, Buicks, & Lincoln Town cars in that sick, faded gold color. (with the blinker left on, signalling a turn....) You need that 2002 fix. :)

No, not retired YET. Freedom 55 (literally) is 9 months away. I have a govt pension to look forward to, and a whole list of things that I've always wanted to do. Fooling around with cars in the garage is one of those things I want to spend more time doing. Yeah, maybe I need a 2002 or equivalent to bring back a bit of zing to my life! :-)

OK, Roberto --- stop by the Dayton area when you hit the byways in your '02 & we will have a gtg in your honor. However, now come some big decisions: Roundie or Squaretail?, factory original or modified?, Inka or Sahara?, Patina or Concours?, etc. Fun, fun. (re. the Camry 4-cylinder: my son has a '93 Camry 4 cyl. It is dull, but it sure does what it was built for. He likes it a lot. It's pushing 190K now.)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I just added some pictures of the pair of 2002's for sale locally, in this thread:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,346544/

I gulped when I saw the silver one (76), stripped for body repair. That kind of resto is beyond my current abilities and gumption I fear. I've been spoiled by my rust-free Benz, and other good-condition cars I've owned recently.

The white one (believe it's a 74) appears to look better, but could be misleading to the untrained eye (mine).

Anyway, you might find the few pics I uploaded interesting (took a pile more, engine bay, outside, trunk, underneath, inside one of them). If nothing else, gives me a bit of a yardstick to compare others ones I may look at.

Cheers!

Hmm, the silver one is rather far gone I think. The white one, perhaps less so. You're in no hurry, so...

See where the BMW enthusiasts hang out in your area (some are probably on this board).

Go look at, and drive some decent 2002's (and E28's and E30's). Talk to the owners. Showing up in the Benz will probably give you some street cred ;-)

If you decide you want an '02, figure out what level of "restoration" you want to get yourself into. Almost always best to get the most rust-free example you can find (and afford). (Mostly) rust free shells are do come up for sale -- see the cars for sale section of this board and other places, if you want to start from there. Modded and stock fairly rust free cars are also for sale frequently, and at times some bargains can be had. Be patient.

Good luck,

Ray

I just added some pictures of the pair of 2002's for sale locally, in this thread:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,346544/

I gulped when I saw the silver one (76), stripped for body repair. That kind of resto is beyond my current abilities and gumption I fear. I've been spoiled by my rust-free Benz, and other good-condition cars I've owned recently.

The white one (believe it's a 74) appears to look better, but could be misleading to the untrained eye (mine).

Anyway, you might find the few pics I uploaded interesting (took a pile more, engine bay, outside, trunk, underneath, inside one of them). If nothing else, gives me a bit of a yardstick to compare others ones I may look at.

Cheers!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

having owned e30's and 2002's, they're completely different

well... yes... but less different than a '71 Mustang and a 2CV...

Currently owning several 2002's in various states of suspension tune,

an E30 and an E36, they're

all pretty similar in that they all handle well. The big problem with the

e36, though, is that the thing just won't spin when you lift off the throttle

abruptly in a fast bend... bah....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hmm, the silver one is rather far gone I think. The white one, perhaps less so. You're in no hurry, so...

See where the BMW enthusiasts hang out in your area (some are probably on this board).

Go look at, and drive some decent 2002's (and E28's and E30's). Talk to the owners. Showing up in the Benz will probably give you some street cred ;-)

Be patient.

Thanks Ray, excellent advice. Indeed, I will take my time, just starting to get familiar with older BMW's. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

A properly sorted out 2002 or 2002Tii is a car for life

- with minor suspension, sound deadening, AC, wheels and tires etc. can be as modern a driver as a new Hyundai

- simple to fix will not ever cot you alot for parts or labor (if you find right mechanic)

- one of most practical layout for a car ever... great space for driver and passenger, storage in trunk, ample back seat, great ventilation

- Now to the driving... just a balanced car ... a boxy Miata. A car you can feel the physics of the road, have fun, take some hard turns and feel the car

- Less airbags appears to be a safe car from what I have observed and heard from collision experts holds up well in collision... probably a safer car then most modern small car with exception of air bags and collapseable steering column

We have alot of folks who come by and just drive our re-mfgr 2002's, e21's, Boss Mustangs, Shelby's etc. If you are ever in Dallas feel free to come see us and drive the finished cars we have available. www.SelectClassics.com. Note: we build most of the vehicles to order so finished inventory is varied but always 6 to 12 in production

Good luck... demographic for nice 2002's seems to be a very "smart" group also

• 3 weeks later...

I owned a 2002 for a brief time. Unfortunately, I had it restored sight unseen and when the car arrived it was a total and complete misrepresentation of what the so called restorer had described. So, be careful who you buy from, and if restored check out the references of the restoration company/individual. My dream was to have a nice 2002 to drive recreationally, but I never got to experience just what a 2002 "should" drive like because I spent thousands more to attempt to have it be "right", but the car was such a mess, it couldn't happen. Maybe one day I'll own a properly done 2002.

I owned a 2002 for a brief time. Unfortunately, I had it restored sight unseen and when the car arrived it was a total and complete misrepresentation of what the so called restorer had described. So, be careful who you buy from, and if restored check out the references of the restoration company/individual. My dream was to have a nice 2002 to drive recreationally, but I never got to experience just what a 2002 "should" drive like because I spent thousands more to attempt to have it be "right", but the car was such a mess, it couldn't happen. Maybe one day I'll own a properly done 2002.

where are you and who did the work....if you want to aid others, a prevent other misfortunes, spill the beans on the hack shop

A properly sorted out 2002 or 2002Tii is a car for life

Not if it lives outside. Even a relatively mild climate (us) will kill

one in 20 or so years. I was looking over Jenn's car last weekend,

and it makes me sad- it needs probably $2k of rust repair and a repaint.

They just weren't built to last forever.

Guess I need to get out the angle grinder... shit...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

The topic regarding my so-called restoration has been discussed ad nauseum on antoher thread. I think it best not to mention it here.