• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW Dealer Crashes M5, Tries Screwing Owner Out Of $27K

f1reverb

EHEHE. I used to be one of the guys who would take the cars out after a brake job (back when M5s only had 400hp tho.) There was this miles-long strip of industrial road several blocks behind the dealership where all the techs did their tire-hating business. IF any similar incident happened at my old dealership there would be no way to reconstruct the "crime" as the roadway was literally covered with thick black tire marks from motorcycles, cars, redneck trucks (alabama dealership), etc.

One time I was testing a yellow M3 which, I soon discovered, had a sticky throttle if you dared open it all the way. Fortunately, unlike Toyota owners of late, i understand where the key is and apart from a momentary "oh shit" adrenaline rush, no damage was done. Turns out the tech who worked on it had left some ducting or wiring or something in the way of the pedal so when you floored it, it stayed floored...

Anyways there was more than once when youd see a tech *cough* returning an m5 from a test drive coming around the corner down the block from the dealership with the tail-end hanging out, but again, that was in the days before that last lethal 100hp and we *cough* never had an incident... ;)

not that i ever saw anything, but the techs at the dealer here supposedly do that too. I used to go to an independent shop right around the corner from the dealer and heard many stories. Just a couple years ago i think one of the newer guys crashed one of the ///M's. Safe to say he's no longer employed there. Good? to know it doesn't just happen here lol

I have to add that there is a very legitimate reason for the techs to take the car out and drive it to 100% of its capabilities, evidenced by the yellow M3 situation above. If the owner had gotten his car back, nailed it at some point and was taken off guard by the now-sticking throttle, and he plowed through a crowd of nuns waiting for the bus, who do you think everybody would sue? So yeah, testing the car after working on it ensures nothing was missed and its operating within its capabilities correctly. yehehehehe... ;)