• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this tii?

Guest Anonymous

When I looked at these pics the first time quickly, I thought that it was a reasonable price for a good solid car in a rare color. Until the underside pictures. I would have been happier to see the surface crud and occasional surface rust, but they tried to put paint on every surface, no matter whether it was prepped properly or not; i.e., they painted over alot of "stuff". Do it right or don't do it. I'd always rather buy a car with old, tired, original paint than fresh paint done in just an ok manner. There is overspray on black and gold in some areas. Probably not trying to deceive, but for 18.5, thats kinda half-assed.

Ceylon is an aquired taste; you will either love it, or not. Honda has a similar color somewhat recently...I think its a great color when fresh, butt-ugly when tired...like a Martha Stewart-painted pinecone. My $.02's worth. Dave V. in NC

I agree with Dave mostly. The paint job could be ok or could be sad, kinda hard to tell form the pics. But my biggest worry -- since the paint is not done "properly" -- is what kind of rust there was before the paint went on and how well it was repaired. The car may be fine. But I would not buy it for half that price if I didn't check it out with my own eyes.

If you're looking in S.F., as I interpret from your handle, there are plenty of good tii's local or close that would be as good or a better deal. I wouldn't bother with an east coast car unless you HAD to have ceylon -- a color I really like but many don't.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Looks like a very nice car.

Looks like a few things are... funy... KYB shocks, strut spacers still in it, painted drive shaft, bolts, and guibo. As was said in the other post, the underside looks hurried. Paint the strut and springs on the car? WTF? And something is going on here.

l_7cb7f1e76898437f9523a9cde10cd7ed.jpg

I'd have to see it in person.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Nice looking car. I am concerned about the car from the rear subframe back...the work around the (new) spare tire well and gas tank looks a bit dodgy. I would want to know some specifics about the engine (rebuild? receipts?) as it looks like it could be tired. Overall better than many tii's I have seen for sale in the last while

70 M2 2.5L 

Some history and info per the Sellers.

Dec '91 - Roundel Seller, Norwalk, CT - 1k on factory rblt mtr

Apr '95 - Roundel Seller, Bridgeport area, CT - in resto, 0 miles on fact rblt mtr

Jun '08 - Ebay Seller, Shelton, CT - "ground up resto"

Aug '10 - Ebay Seller, Shelton, CT - resto in Aug '09

Assume Aug '10 Ebay Seller is the same Craigslist Seller.

HTH

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17