• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOOL QUESTION: Dremel vs. ???

BiggyC

Does anyone have an opinion on a Dremel kit, or any other brand for a small, corded high-RPM cutter/grinder/polisher? I bought an '02 a couple of months ago, and have a project lined up that needs a dremel tool. I'm thinking I'd want non-cordless, as I don't want the battery dying on me in the middle of a job. Is Dremel the 'snap-on' of tiny grinders, or will a cheap-o off-brand (think harborfreight) get me by? Thanks for reading.... -Chris

.…”Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...You've got to run like an antelope: out of control…”

- 1974 2002 Atlantikblau sunroof

I HAVE A FOREDOM BRAND OF A DREMEL LIKE TOOL .

IT HAS A REMOTE DRIVE AND POWERS THE TOOL IN YOUR HAND BY WAY OF A FLEX SHAFT CABLE .

THERE ARE A LOT OF ATTACHMENTS AVAILABLE FOR THESE AND ONE OF THE HAND SETS I HAVE LOOKS LIKE A SOMETHING A DENTIST WOULD USE .

THE IDEA IS TO HAVE MORE POWER AVAILABLE THAN IT WOULD BE PRACTICAL

TO PUT IN YOU HAND AND USE IN A DELICATE WAY .

THIS IS A NICE IDEA BUT IN PRACTICE , I HAVE FOUND THAT THE TOOLS HEAT UP AFTER AWHILE AND I HAVE TO KEEP PUTTING THE DOWN FOR THEM TO COOL OFF .

THIS ISN'T THE END OF THE WORLD BUT IF I USED IT MORE , IT WOULD START GETTING OLD . MAYBE I SHOULD QUIT RUNNING IT WIDE OPEN .

HERE IS A GUY TO DEMONSTRATE :

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005541/FOREDOM-SR-Series-Flexible-Shaft-Tools/videos.aspx

reodor.gif

I have a cordless Dremel that is good for short low-torque jobs, but I couldn't be happier with my Black & Decker corded dremel-like tool. The attachments are pretty much interchangeble with the Dremel and the torque is amazing.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg