• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to start 2002, been sitting for 2 years and no keys

tdk930

Hi,

I am trying to start a 2002 Tii that has been sitting 2 years and "ran when parked". I have the title but no keys. I have taken the ignition apart and can get the fuel pump to kick with a turn of the ignition switch that i have disconnected from the lock. The starer does not crank. I have a few questions.

What do the 2 wires in the ignition do that are attachd to the dront side of the sleeve - not the ones on the switch itself but where the key goes? Do i need to do anything with these to start the car.

I know that i can short the starter to give it direct power to see if it will turn - what terminals do i apply power too? I seem to recall shorting out the two leads on the back of the solenoid as a way to bypass the switch to see if the starter will kick but its been awhile.

Ps - i pulled the plugs and they came out easy. Added a bit of oil to each cylinder to aid in the starting.

Todd

to power that annoying beep that tells the less-than-observant that the key is still in the ignition and the door is open.

It's not an interlock to prevent the engine from starting, so ignore while you try to get the car started.

BTW, if you have the ignition lock out of the car (you've drilled the roll pin and pulled the lock), a locksmith can make you a key.

cheers & good luck

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite