• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colorado to Golf 72tii touchup...

jerry

i bought this car last May because it is complete, an early VIN 403, with S/R, and i'm a sucker for a project. it arrived as i expected, complete with rust and exposed metal. i pulled all the brazed on patch panels off the car and have spent the summer liberating rust free replacement panels and other bits from scrapped cars.

well, i've had this half used gallon of some very nice zinc-chromate primer with an expired shelf-life that i got from work. it's good stuff but i wasn't sure if it would cure without a 300F oven exposure. i'm happy to say that it dried very nicely. i figured if it is good enough for aeroengine nacelles and casings, it's good enough for my 02's.

i had planned to spray it on, but got lazy at the last minute and decided to merely brush it on with a disposable brush. my motivation was to cover the exposed metal for winter. i can't wait to get it running as i plan to keep it looking like this for awhile. i like the look, actually....

i've got some rockers to replace, first, though.

post-260-13667631538245_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667631540038_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667631541756_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

you go deer hunting. If it has a sunroof you're set; just pop up and fire away.

BTW my '69 was in so many shades of primer and faded Nevada for so long that my wife was threatening to get me a vanity plate that read

"RDNK BMW"--per Jeff Foxworthy who said that you might be a redneck if "the predominant color on your car was primer."

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

deer hunting??? heck, all i have to do is wander outside at dusk to find those wretched animals....

i don't refer to my garden as a garden, per se, but rather as a delicatessen. the deer come down around dinnertime to see what's on the menu. i'm down to the point where my fruit trees and tomatoe plants are surrounded by mis-matched fencing and everything else must fend for itself.

just the other day i noticed a rather large buck nonchalantly munching on some native bushes about 15 ft away. it was only a matter of time before he'd wander down for dessert. as much as they cause me grief, they are kind of cool looking animals up close.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa