• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Longneck Rear Subframe with Swaybar Mounts?

ClayW

Did any of the early 2002/1600's that came with longneck differentials have rear swaybars? My `67 doesn't have one, but I'd like to eventually add one. I realize that I could have the mounts cut from a later subframe and trailing arms and have them welded into the 1600's, but it would be easier to find a subframe with the mounts already installed.

Secondarily, how many of you have a 1600 or 2002 with a longneck differential?

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

My 68 2002 (5/68 Production) has a longneck diff and a rear swaybar.

My 71 1600 (shortneck) had no swaybar, but I added one because the mountings were there already.

The question: do all early shortneck diff subframe cars have the provision for the rear bar since the early 2002s had it? Was it simply an option on 1602s?

-Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Shortneck 1600s have sway bar mounts, but no sway bars. I have a 67 longneck 1600 with no rear mounts and a 68 longneck 1600 that has them.

No warranty on originality of parts. It was a hot setup in the day to swap the 2002 rear subframe with everything on it into a 1600, getting bigger brakes, a swaybar, and a longer rear ratio all at once. To accompany, of course, the transplanted 2002 motor.