• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

potential new 1976 2002 owner

joeyvaz

Hello all, I may be picking up a '76 2002 tomorrow. Here's the low down on it: 66,000 original miles, VERY little rust, interior is mint, Malaga w/tan interior, automatic :-( and has BBS wheels on it. Body and paint are in phenomeanl shape.

Car is in a parking garage and hasn't been started in about 6 months. Problem is that it needs a new radiator and the rear wheels are locked. Car won't even roll. Spoke to the owner today and he says he THINKS diff is seized, but it drove to the parking spot. It just wouldn't move about a month later when he wanted to take it out.

I want to at least start it and listen to the engine tomorrow. Anything I should do before cranking it over? Is it likely the diff is seized? I don't believe the tranny would cause this type of issue with the locked rear wheels. BTW, he is asking $2,100 for it. I am thinking of offering $1,500 if the engine runs and sounds decent. This will be a daily driver. I have an e30 vert for weekend cruising, an allroad wagon, and an S4. So this is going to be a project and/or a first car for my daughter. Thoughts?

Where are you located? Check your smog laws in your state...76's in california still have to be smogged...75 and older do not. The smog parts are hard to get and make the car run bad...so most people look for 75 or older.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

It is hard to evaluate this '02. No pictures, only a partial description, and you can't test-drive it. The seller needs to make YOUR life easier imo. He's dumping his problems on you AND asking YOU to pay the bill. Mine was far from perfect when I found it, but I was able to drive it and inspect it fully before I committed to it. (it ran smoothly, it stopped, etc.) This one may be a wonderful project car or it may be a nightmare. Where are you located? Find a local '02 expert and have them come with you to check it out before you seal the deal. Just my 02 cents. Buyer beware, as always.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

'Car is in a parking garage and hasn't been started in about 6 months. Make sure it'll run. Take a can of starting fluid at at least some jumper cables. A non-runner is worth considerably less than the asking price, as the engine may be seized.

Problem is that it needs a new radiator.

Remember that an automatic has a tranny cooler in the radiator, making it more expensive to replace and making an aftermarket radiator Ione from an E21, an Ireland etc) much more difficult . Find out what''s wrong with the radiator; if it just needs a good cleaning out, pressure testing and leak repair, that's not too bad at all. If it's shot and needs a complete replacement, that's gonna be several hundred $$ unless you find someone with a good radiator from an automatic.

...and the rear wheels are locked. Car won't even roll.

If it was parked with the emergency brake on (check that) that''s most likely the problem. Never do that. Diffs rarely fail on 2002s, especially when parked in a garage! As was mentioned, release the hand brake, pull rear wheels and bang on the brake drums with a BFH. You might also be able to break 'em loose by jacking up the rear, starting the engine, putting it in low gear and gunning the engine. If the wheels don't turn farily quickly, don't let the torque converter slip too long.

And if you're in CA, read other posts on the subject--it'll have to pass emission inspection. If I lived in CA, I'd stay away from a '76 as previous years are exempt. Go figure.

Bottom line: if it starts, and you can confirm the stuck rear wheels are in fact stuck brake drums, I'd dicker. If the engine won't start or turn over, then if you want a real project, offer MUCH less $$. Good luck, and remember it ain''t the only 2002 left in the world for sale...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite