• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shortening drive shaft. u joints and bearings

flyingfool

so i was doing some research calls, and finally found a guy that would shorten a bmw drive shaft (lotsa ppl wont do it?) and he was saying the whole deal about the joints need to be good, and bearing changed. my question is how do i tell or get an idea of the condition of the U joints ? would they be loose? bent?

just trying to save some cost here. as to have em re bored and stuff would be about $600. kinda steep.

and since the trans for a five speed swap comes outa a 320, could the drive shaft also be used? mabeye in better shape.

we already tried. All the dimensions are different,

auto, manual, 528, 533, whatever- they just don't quite work.

sorry.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

i'm having a driveshaft shortened and rebuild by San Leandro Driveshafts in San Leandro. around $400, not $600. may be worth a drive, and they are well-versed on the 2002 driveshaft. was recommended by another FAQ'r to me.

as for the u-joints. rotating them should be smooth. there should be no notchiness felt. per the discussion i had with the guy, the u-joints on BMW is problematic because there is not enough flex to facilitate the rollers to rotate sufficiently to even the wear. proper installation of an 02 driveshaft should be straight. look at any 2-piece driveshaft on an old pickup truck and they are typically bent at the u-joint, thereby allowing more rotation of the rollers within the needle bearing. sounded like a plausible explanation to me....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa