• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new owner of a 71 1600

temujin

hi, guys i finally have another bmw after 20 years. picked it up from the dock and found a few chalanges to start with shocks bad brakes.ect . no big deal. now the the part i am haveing a problem with blinkers were not working so i followed the wires checked the grounds all good. 6 fuse box all good sanded all grounds ect. took off cover for under stearing wheel to get to the blinker switches and noticed a few things.i am thinking the blinker/high beam control arm may be the wrong one?.anyone know if the 1971 1600 had the blinker/washer switch combo on the right handside of stearing wheel, and the high/flash beam on the left by is self? and if so can i go with a newer one and put blinkers and highbeams all on left and get ride of washer/water arn on right? thanks for any help. o yea forgot vin is 1570624/mal.red thnks tim

high/low beam/headlight flash on the left, turn signal, windshield wash/wipe on the right--is correct for a '71. They didn't move the turn signals to the left side until 1974.

If your turn signals aren't flashing, and you've already checked/cleaned the fuses and fusebox, try these:

1. make sure you have a good ground for the bulbs at both ends of the car--esp the front, where the bulbs ground through the housing mounting screws. Rears ground with a wire, and if the tail lights work, the ground is good.

2. Do the 4 way flashers work? The turn signals get their power thru the 4 way flasher switch, so no flashers, no turn signals. It's also a good check for the bulb grounds.

3. Check the turn signal flasher box (under left side of dash, near the hood release). Is it getting power when the turn sigal lever is moved to left or right? Check with a voltmeter. If it is, carefully remove the unit's cover, select a left or right turn with the lever and observe: there are two little sets of points inside--one for the outside lights, one for the dash light. They should both be going on and off (the clicking you should hear) alternately. If the points are stuck closed, you might be able to separate them. Anyway, fiddle with 'em to see if you can get 'em working again. If you see burnt spots on the circuit board, it's time for a new flasher. The flasher itself is pretty reliable, and you should be able to score a good used one.

Happy troubleshooting; let us know whatcha find.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Welcome to the 1600 club! BTW, Mike can probably correct me if I'm wrong but I think the VIN you gave corresponds to a 1969 build date? Not uncommon I hear if it was a dealer leftover/owned/untitled car until 1971.

Model Series Year From To < VIN > VIN # Built

1600 Pre 71 1967 Sep-67 Dec-67 1-560-001 1-562-153 2153

Pre 71 1968 Jan-68 Dec-68 1-562-154 1-567-530 5377

Pre 71 1969 Jan-69 Dec-69 1-567-531 1-570-704 3174

Pre 71 1970 Jan-70 Dec-70 1-570-705 1-572-399 1695

Pre 71 1971 Jan-71 ?-71 1-572-400 1-572-930 531

Pre 71 1971 ?-71 Mar-71 1-572-931 1-573-162 232

--> 1968 2002 <--

hi, guys i finally have another bmw after 20 years. picked it up from the dock and found a few chalanges to start with shocks bad brakes.ect . no big deal. now the the part i am haveing a problem with blinkers were not working so i followed the wires checked the grounds all good. 6 fuse box all good sanded all grounds ect. took off cover for under stearing wheel to get to the blinker switches and noticed a few things.i am thinking the blinker/high beam control arm may be the wrong one?.anyone know if the 1971 1600 had the blinker/washer switch combo on the right handside of stearing wheel, and the high/flash beam on the left by is self? and if so can i go with a newer one and put blinkers and highbeams all on left and get ride of washer/water arn on right? thanks for any help. o yea forgot vin is 1570624/mal.red thnks tim

you completely sure the grounds on the front indicator screws are good? Usually the issue.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

wow did not know it was a 69-70 but with that vin from what you showed me must be right lol title say 71 lol. well the right side blinker/washer bolt control lever was completly broken off and a new controler was bought for the left side that has blinker wires 3 and 3 other wires i am guesssing are for lights and high beams. only 3 wires were hooked up low beams thats why blinkers were not working got them going now just trying to figure out high beams found to put on that switch even thought its not original. need to get it working so i can get it safety inspection and reg. before i get a fine for not doing it with in 10 day lol. i am hopeing i can use the control unit. dieng to go for a cruz, any way i think the swith part number or numbers on the switch are 4455 ring a bell for anyone,or anyone if i can use this set up? tnks tim