• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Surfbaord Racks

ejs

I know there was a thread on what racks look the best, wood, metal, modern, classic. There used to be a car in PB with racks that looked good, I think it was green and may even had some type of longboarder licence plate.

My 1973 w sunroof need racks. Soft racks don't work that well as they hit they dont' lift a longboard high enough and you hit the plastic cowling and you get wax on it.

Any definitive answers on what retains the claisic look and where to buy them?

I have a set of Thule racks, which I think they still make. Get the ones that clamp on your rain gutters. Most sporting goods stores sell them, check out their website. Yakima also makes good racks that still look vintage.

Shamrock07032a.jpg[/url]

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

get a shortboard and put it on the passanger seat. or get a set of Aloha racks dont know if they still produce them but thats what i used to use when i was transporting surfboards in my 02 in the 80's

Haha... i can fit up to a 6'4 in my 2002 by folding the front seat forward and lying it across the rear seat over the passenger seat.

Aloha's area great if you can find an original set for a good price. There are knock offs... and the originals go for $$$ on ebay.

Yakima is what i use. they lock. they are vintage-ish.

post-17221-13667632356033_thumb.jpg

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

carrying a canoe (thus the mfg). They clamp into the rain gutters, clear the roof plenty for a surfboard and are very sturdy.

You can probably find them at a shop that sells canoes--if not from Grunnman than from another supplier. I've carried a 75 lb 5 drawer wood file cabinet and an antique pie safe on 'em with no problems (but not at the same time!)

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

In fact, in those days the hippies rejected me because my van was too clean. I sold it in 1970 to a guy from Pt. Dume in Malibu who ran around pretending he customized it. You can tell from the wheels and tires that I was into F1 even in those days, as the tires were Firestone Super Sport GP F1 tires I got over at Parnelli Jones as lapped tires for 20 bucks. The rear wheels were 16x8.5 and the fronts were 15x7. The reduction gear bearings in the rear failed a number of times because of the strain from the big wheels and wrong offset. They were Ford wheel bolt pattern with adapters for the VW bolt circle so I could use them. I sold the VW and then bought a '65 Ford van and fixed that up (pics), then sold that for 2500 and bought my 912 when I just turned 20. I had Goodyear Bluestreak Sports Car Specials on the rear of the Ford in size 600x1650x15 on 10" wheels, which really were way too narrow as the full wet rain tires were for CanAm cars which usually had 19" wide rims then. The fronts on the Ford were 8.5x15 Americans and Firestone Super Sports GPs. The '65 Ford was in the July 1971 issue of Hot Rod in an article they did on vans cruising Van Nuys Blvd. Later on the 912 I put on Goodyear Bluestreak Sports Car Specials too.

fv1.jpg

fv2.jpg

912v2.jpg

Bay Standard brand surfboard racks were very common when I was growing up as a surfer during the 70's. There's a set on e-bay right now for $275, ouch! I've been using Yakima racks on my 2002 for surfing and windsurfing for about the last 15-20 years. I bought my Yakima racks at the Outdoor World in Santa Cruz. Here's a picture of the old bay standard racks:

post-1616-1366763239477_thumb.jpg

post-1616-13667632410411_thumb.jpg

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I have a set of Thule racks, which I think they still make. Get the ones that clamp on your rain gutters. Most sporting goods stores sell them, check out their website. Yakima also makes good racks that still look vintage.

Shamrock07032a.jpg[/url]

the Thule racks are the best for a 02. I got mine in great condition on Craigslist for $75 went to the guys house, and come to find out we where old school buddies. Been over 20 years. he sold them to me for $50.

Da Kind Straps, and your styling. Can fit over 10 boards, with this set up!!

Bay Standard brand surfboard racks were very common when I was growing up as a surfer during the 70's. There's a set on e-bay right now for $275, ouch! I've been using Yakima racks on my 2002 for surfing and windsurfing for about the last 15-20 years. I bought my Yakima racks at the Outdoor World in Santa Cruz. Here's a picture of the old bay standard racks:

these can really ding a board up, They pissed me off as a kid! I would never even use them if someone gave them to me. Get Thule or Yakima (but the bar is round) Thules have a flat bar!!!!

these can really ding a board up, They pissed me off as a kid! I would never even use them if someone gave them to me. Get Thule or Yakima (but the bar is round) Thules have a flat bar!!!!

I'm with you. Those old racks are only for someone whos anal about period correctness ;-)

post-1616-13667632411562_thumb.jpg

post-1616-1366763241246_thumb.jpg

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️