• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB CV joint cupped washers

williamggruff

I took apart 2 full axles this past weekend and none of the CV joints had the associated cupped washer snugging them to the half shaft. Makes me think that either

1. they're not really needed (seems unlikely); or

2. the PO simply didn't know what parts were needed in the pre-internet days; or

3. the PO wasn't willing to pony up the $53 plus shipping each to get the washers that are only available in the CV boot repair kit from BMW.

In any event, I'm in search of 2 of these washers for my 76. These appear to be the only parts that are keeping me from assembling my rear axle this weekend and taking the car to the DC BMWCCA event the following weekend. If anyone has spare or spares they'd be willing to ship to me, I'd be much obliged. And given that the alternative is to buy them for $106 plus expedited shipping, I'm economically motivated as well.

As an alternative, if someone could provide the specs for the washer and/or an alternative source (e.g. McMaster Carr, nutsnbolts.com, etc.), I'll gladly offer for free to FAQers any washers that I receive in a box but don't need for my rear axle.

Many thanks for your time and efforts.

Cheers,

Grice

post-16735-13667632359271_thumb.jpg

post-16735-13667632360593_thumb.jpg

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Guest Anonymous

I have replaced grease and boot on the left hand side of my 1976 2002. I like you, found no cupped washer. I put it back together without one many thousands of miles ago with no problems whatsoever. When I service the right side soon and find no cupped washer I will not worry one bit. I also used hose clamps and no special glue to hold on the boot. Still looks normal and tight. Good luck!!! If you need more info call me after 9pm in Western Mass. 413 563 1829.