• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilt your heater valve?

BaltoTim

Anyone have long-term success with a heater valve they've rebuilt? Where did you find your o-rings? Hardware store? Specialty parts supplier?

Mine took a crap and I put a note looking for a good used one on the WTB forum. But if the right sized O rings can be found, why not? My HCV opens easily and turns freely, so I might give it a shot. It's worth trying before I shell out 250 bucks or more.

1967 1600 agave

1985 Mercedes 300D-T

Saw the picture link to your '67 1600.... Looks cool in Agave, was that its original color?

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

very easy to refurbish. go to the plumbing department with your disassembled valve in hand and look for appropriate sized o-rings. i actually stacked two thin o-rings atop one another and no leaks to speak of. the hardest part is unscrewing the two machine head screws holding the cover on. i've got one that'll need to be drilled out because it just wont budge no matter how much heat and liquid wrench i use.

replace them with stainless steel or thru-bolt and nut.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

The all metal ones can be rebuilt.

With my stock of metric and standard o-rings, I was able to find a match for the small one on the shaft. For the seal on the outer plate, I took two o-rings, cut & glued them together til I had a good fit.

While apart, I wire brushed the outside, and then gave it a spray of clear. I cleaned all the threads on the shaft and body screws. A dab of antiseize on the screws for next time. Seems to be holding up well. The gremlins moved to my headgasket.

I also had to fabricate a mounting bracket as the old plastic tabs had crumbled on the heater box.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Someone recently posted a link to a cheap generic heater valve, which can be purchased for like $18. I think it was a car website that sold A/C kits for vintage cars (mostly american).

I'd go with the generic O-rings and such myself though, just because the generic heater valve might not line up quite perfectly. (Don't think anyone has tried one yet to verify perfect fit)

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Anyone have long-term success with a heater valve they've rebuilt? Where did you find your o-rings? Hardware store? Specialty parts supplier?

Mine took a crap and I put a note looking for a good used one on the WTB forum. But if the right sized O rings can be found, why not? My HCV opens easily and turns freely, so I might give it a shot. It's worth trying before I shell out 250 bucks or more.

I took mine to a carb tuning shop and was able to dig in until we found the proper O ring. Its been more than a year and its still running like a champ.. GL

hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

Gents, thanks for your tips. Ben's heater valve with brass guts looked pretty good (and comes with a warranty), so I snatched it. I'm going to attempt to refurbish mine (later one with plastic valve) to have as a backup. We have a good plumbing supply store here so I may find what I need.

1967 1600 agave

1985 Mercedes 300D-T