• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

These squealing brake are killing me!

hrstudioplus

I've had enough! I had a really loud brake problem in the past because I had 40 year old rotors and calipers. I get brand new calipers, pads, fluid, AND rotors, and now my brake are still making a very SLIGHT squeal when I press the brakes about halfway.

Not nearly as loud and annoying as my old calipers but I thought buying all new stuff could have solved it.

What causes front brakes to squeal? It has been raining recently so that seems to be a possible reason. Otherwise doesn't make sense.

Hassan

post-17739-13667632591234_thumb.jpg

1972 2002 Malaga (soon to be Verona) daily driver/project.

Did you put the anti-squeal compound on the back of the brake pads? Usually its from the vibration of the pads, and the red goo dampens this....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Did you put Anti-squeal paste on the back side of the pads before installing? And did you seat the pads as per the manufacturers instructions? Both of those procedures are important if you don't want squeal. BMW's paste is excellent, but probably any at the local Auto Parts store will suffice.

Bob Napier

Did you put Anti-squeal paste on the back side of the pads before installing? And did you seat the pads as per the manufacturers instructions? Both of those procedures are important if you don't want squeal. BMW's paste is excellent, but probably any at the local Auto Parts store will suffice.

Bob Napier

Damn this is something I did NOT do. I took my re-machined calipers, with pads in them, straight out of the box from Ireland and installed as-is. I had a friend helping me working on my car for a while, and he said I didn't need to do anything to them.

I'll get around to doing this whenever I get my Billstein HDs.

Also, do non-tii's have shims? That's a good question, curious if anybody knows. Thanks.

Hassan

why wait for the billy swap. pulling the brake pads, gooing them up and putting them back in takes like 5min.

Still have to jack it up and remove the wheels obviously right? I don't have a jack, tools, or a place to do that, I visit a friend who has a great garage about every month or two when it's time for more work.

My '76 had shims on it fresh from BMW service 20 years ago before it was stored....

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2