• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 non tii what is deal with low price

bryceon44

I am not the greatest expert, but tii's are relatively rare. (only built in 72, 73, & 74) They generate more HP. (about 135) They are generally well preserved & they are usually in a more original state than your avg. carbed '02. They also have boxed trailing arms and better brakes.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

In my very limited experience I would say that the most desirable combo would be:

Model: TII

Year: 1972

Color: Inka

Condition: Mint Original

...and if you come across that combo please give me a call!!!!....... (and I know a there are a FEW FAQ members (very few!) who are smugly smiling right now!

-mpkwy

CARS:Past

1966 VW Bug

1971 2002 (BOUGHT IN 1972) (totaled, back in my sordid youth)

1975 2002 (mntgrun (sold)

1973 2002 (Sahara, unmolested, Sold, sniff-sniff)

asst Honda accords and Outbacks

Current:

06 Outback

04 Camry

Here is my theory on 2002 valuations.

Most older cars are purchased as a non-essential play car rather than transportation. As such, the things that matter most are the least practical - power, open top, wild colors, and rarity. And a general rule is that the top of the line models when new will be the most desirable models later, only amplified.

The 2002 is somewhat unique in that it is a very practical collectible car which divides the values down the middle. Many 2002 owners actually use their cars for transportation. They will choose based mostly on practicality and that will often mean a dependable, simple, and less expensive carbed car.

Those who have other transportation will care less about practicality. They will want an Inka tii and can generally afford to pay more for it, driving up the values.

This from a guy who completely restored a big bumper non-tii for non-daily transport! Boy am I stupid.

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

Glenn's response is very insightful, I think. Really dead-on...

"The 2002 is somewhat unique in that it is a very practical collectible car which divides the values down the middle. Many 2002 owners actually use their cars for transportation. They will choose based mostly on practicality and that will often mean a dependable, simple, and less expensive carbed car."

I almost think the practicality of the car, plus it's fun-to-drive factor, keep the values of the non tiis higher than other cars of the period.

It will be interesting to see if the Turbos and tiis end up being the only collectible variants. Maybe (not an expert here by any means) over time that's what will happen - the rarer more "top of the line" variants will seem collectible, and the regular 2002 will be a great enthusiast car, and hence a lot more valuable and sought after than 99.9% of the cars from that time period.

Will be interesting to see. You still don't see any variant of 02 show up at the auctions frequently, like you do other models. So overall, I'm not sure any variant of the 02 will ever be in the league of the Boss 302 or '69 Z28. Lots of people like 02s, but I don't think it captured America's imagination as broadly as the American muscle cars did.

Which might be a good thing. I love 02s...I couldn't afford a $30K 02 ever, much less a $60K one!

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Rarity is the number one factor. Production numbers is also a factor, yet BMW made a lot more roundy tiis than square ones. The roundies still fetch more money. In part it's because the square cars are much better built and did not disintegrate like the roundies, again going back to rarity. And the roundies are "older" with small bumpers, classier looking which makes them more desirable.

I prefer the look of a roundy, but a square car is a much better car from all aspects.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

That is an interesting insight. There are a ton of squaretails out there floating around in kind of beater condition. I assumed that was because all the roundies were restored but it could be that the squaries were just built to last.

Actually it is probably a bit of all of these:

They build a boatload of squaries although only for a few years

They are not as old so less chance of destruction

Roundies got restored

Roundies rusted into oblivion

Big bumper cars can take a hit

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

Over 4500 roundies

Under 3000 squares.

But I suspect that more squares remain than roundies. The big bumper difference is probably a significant contributor to their preservation.

Question: Why do more roundies get restored? I am currently restoring my 74.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

In the midwest, there are many more squaretails than roundies. The oldest '02's rusted away or got rear-ended, espec. with the smaller round tail lights. My dad's '72 Golf got rear-ended twice. The 2nd time totalled the car for keeps.

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I have a 74 02, non Tii. Spent 1k buying it and another 8k or so in it. Fun beautiful car, my DD. gets looks everywhere I go. Most everyone knows what a Hemi Cuba is or a Shelby GT 350, Boss Mustang, GTO Judge etc. Few know the difference between a Tii and non. BUT the big difference with the 02 is almost everyone I meet KNOWS what a BMW 2002 is!! Thats what has been very surprising to me. It seems everyone knows this put BMW on the map. Back in the 60's and 70's it was Amercian metal. You rarely saw a BMW. But now you seem them everywhere and everyone recognizes the roundel which has been so well branded. Since BMW is now such a modern day popular car more people can associate with seening an old classic one like the 02.

I learned about collectibility and appreciation of items when I used to restore and sell antique clocks. I just loved the precisiion and craftsmanship of the fine Vienna Regulators, the English Triple Fusee's of the mid to late 1800's. BUT the most money made, easiest clocks to sell and the ones that appreciated quickest were the much cruder made American clocks. That Made in Amerca makes a huge difference on the old stuff, not so much new stuff.

As us guys and gals that cut our teeth on the old american cars start to fade away the new crop of car people, which is now mainly Asian and European cars will start a trend toward the cars they can associate with and that they cut their teeth on. Just look at the age group that buys American cars at Barrett Jackson Auctions. Looks like an AARP commercial.

Granted you will have certain cars like James Bonds Astin, the Lenzkirsch, certain Fusee Clocks etc ut overall if it is old and built in America it will have more collectible value than old and built in Europe or japan etc

Just my opinion

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Maybe it's just me ... although tii's were produced in small numbers compared to the carbed cars -- or really just most cars in general, there still seem to be a lot of them still out there!

True, they are not as easy to tune as the standard-issue 2002, but once they are dialed in, they are reliable for a long time.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

Good point, Nick. The Friday local car cruise-in is going to need oxygen tanks and scooter chairs in a couple more years! Old-school hot-rods and muscle cars rule the lot, but I get excited over the oddball cars that show up. (Example: the 16-year-old with a very low miles '75 Pinto hatchback w/orig. putrid light green paint job & darker snot green interior. It was in excellent condition. I asked him: "What made you want to buy this car?" He said: "I needed a car and it was cheap and it was in really good shape." He was curious & learned a lot about Pintos and I certainly wished him good luck; a very good kid.)

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz