• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Chapterfest - Pictures

mcaden

Mike, I was VERY relieved to arrive home after Chapterfest with a running motor. I was dreading a strike three in my motor debacle, and then having to read an associated update in your column in the Roundel ;-)

I plan to tune the carbs, adjust the timing over the weekend, and double check the nuts and bolts all over the car. There may be some loosey goosey nuts and bolts in the front suspension/steering.

What started out as a simple motor and trans swap turned into a full rebuild. The only parts that remain from the 76 that I picked up in Dallas are the body shell (which has been repaired by Clownman and another local welder), the dashboard, the steering shaft. Everything else was replaced with used parts from other cars, or with new parts, most of which were sourced from BluntTech Industries, the BMW OEM parts supplier and hair care conglomerate operating out of Wayzata, Minnesota.

I owe a huge thank you, and many hours of dedicated service to my local 02 gang, including Jay, Dudley, Clay, Marshall, Jim G, Clownman, Mark S, Cuttie, and a few non-02 folks, including my good friend Arnim, my wife Mina, and my neighbors who never called the cops despite my having operated grinders, drills and other noisy tools well past midnight, every night for the past 6 weeks.

It's been a long, crazy journey getting the car this far, and I expect it to be a longer, crazier journey tuning, driving and tweaking the car over the next several decades. I'll post a cumulative blog here on the FAQ starting next week so that folks here can get some appreciation for the level of insanity that we experienced with this project.

Cheers,

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,

I've been mulling that karting situation over in my head for a while now. It's patently obvious my kart was sabotaged by one of my competitors. I'll write up my analysis, along with my results in the karting thread that I started earlier.

As for my bad ju-ju, I certainly hope you're right! I plan to inspect every nut and bolt on the front and rear assemblies, drive train and brakes over the next week to see if anything has come loose, and will check the fluid levels as well. I went a bit over budget on this project (and by "a bit" I mean WAY, WAY, curds and weigh), so I'd prefer that the bad ju-ju stay away for a long, long time.

Many thanks for your helpful analysis of my front suspension issue(s). I'm going to drop the front struts tonight to see just how many extraneous bushings and washers I included between the top of the strut mount and the bottom of the K-MAC setup. I'm pretty sure I'll find a washer or two, along with the tubular bushing from the stock strut mount bearing. Eliminating those, and tightening the Billy strut cartridges should bring the ride height down to where I expected it to be.

Cheers,

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Looks like a blast! Hope you're doing well Jim, great autocross video Marshall! Who has the Bristol (I think) 02 roundie with BBS RS wheels? Beautiful!

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Now the marauding through DC can begin....

Having experienced the marauding first hand by having three crazed guys in red cars nearly run me off the road, I'll volunteer for the rear guard position so I can watch the carnage and debauchery from a safe distance.

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Now the marauding through DC can begin....

Having experienced the marauding first hand by having three crazed guys in red cars nearly run me off the road, I'll volunteer for the rear guard position so I can watch the carnage and debauchery from a safe distance.

Arden,

That's just how the Ivy Street Red Car Gang rolls! (or ISRCG for short... rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?)

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

Looks like a blast! Hope you're doing well Jim, great autocross video Marshall! Who has the Bristol (I think) 02 roundie with BBS RS wheels? Beautiful!

Aaron - that '71 was driven to the show by a friend of the owner. I think he told me the color was from an Audi and the owner got it at a Barrett-Jackson auction.

Here are more pics.. It was my favorite car that day.

pics10302010097.jpg

pics10302010098.jpg

pics10302010099.jpg

pics10302010006.jpg

pics10302010007.jpg

pics10302010008.jpg

pics10302010010.jpg

pics10302010011.jpg

pics10302010012.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

huh...

Scott - in "winter" mode, the air is pre-heated using a "stove-pipe" hose from the exhaust manifold. This helps keep the carburetor and intake manifold from icing up.

Here is Meg V's '67 1600 from the Spring Arkansas event.

pics4242010119.jpg

You can find this same set-up on American cars, except they had a vacuum diaphragm to control a flap in the air cleaner snorkel.

Jim Gerock

Hi guys, The bristol "69" with the bbs wheels is my car my name is Bruce. I bought the car at Barrett Jackson last year in Florida. It was a one owner fully documented car from Georgia. I am the 2nd owner of this car. It came basically the way it is. I fixed two rust spots behind the passenger side wheels, redid a set of bbs rs's "with the help of Miller Auto Recycling", replaced the stock carb, radio, lowered it and a couple other things. I was in Va last weekend so my good friend Ben took the car to the show for me. Ben is a awesome BMW mechanic who owns Sarlimotorsports in Millersville Md. The orange hose off of the heat box is connected to the heat shield on the exhaust. I'm happy to see the car got some attention, wish I could have been there.

Hi guys, The bristol "69" with the bbs wheels is my car my name is Bruce. I bought the car at Barrett Jackson last year in Florida. It was a one owner fully documented car from Georgia. I am the 2nd owner of this car. It came basically the way it is. I fixed two rust spots behind the passenger side wheels, redid a set of bbs rs's "with the help of Miller Auto Recycling", replaced the stock carb, radio, lowered it and a couple other things. I was in Va last weekend so my good friend Ben took the car to the show for me. Ben is a awesome BMW mechanic who owns Sarlimotorsports in Millersville Md. The orange hose off of the heat box is connected to the heat shield on the exhaust. I'm happy to see the car got some attention, wish I could have been there.

Hi Bruce - hope to see you and your car again. Thank for letting Ben bring it out.

Jim Gerock

yes, they don't have a hose running out the other side of the box, to the carb, that's what has me baffled. And if you wanted, where would you run the hose to the 32/36? Large hose to a reducer, to the underside of the 32/36 filter base? Maybe just removed for summer use? Or just for looks?

It looks nice!

edit: Ok, just read the last post. Thanks.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg