• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 BMW 2002 - $1000 ***SOLD!***

SCRATCH

Update>>>>>>>> Car Sold 11/18/10.

FOR SALE!

My 1973 BMW 2002.

oliversail.jpg

I've owned this little roundie for a little over two years. I came across it at a coworkers house, where it was parked in front of his garage. It hadn't moved in 12 years or so. I towed it away, got it running, and put about 7k miles on it. I am selling this because I bought another 2002 and can't have both! This would be a great project/parts car for someone who'd like to starting tinkering.

Car has:

Weber 32/36 Carb. Its been rebuilt and tuned. Works great!

Brand new clutch

New driveshaft center bearing.

New plugs and wires, cap and rotor.

Great tread on all 4 tires

Vintage 13-inch 'basketweave' alloys.

Ansa exhaust.

THE BAD:

As you can see, this car is not a garaged gem. Its not your "mint". The car has some rust spots. Much of what you see is surface, but some goes a bit deeper. The car could be saved, but would need some work.

Many of the panels have dents which could be straightened out, but its not super straight.

It burns a little oil, as the exhaust has some white smoke it it. I'm pretty sure its common, and it only happens on start up and during 'spirited' driving.

The turn signal lever is getting old and tired. It works, but you have to hold it to keep the blinker on.

Leaks a small about of oil and brake fluid. Interior is a bit tired, and springs are starting to show on the seats.

The car has some front end damage from the previous owner.

THE GOOD:

Car starts right up, and idles at about 900 RPMs. All the lights and switches work! Dome light, all dash lights, indicators, hazard, parking lights, wipers, floods, etc. Gas gauge, speedo, and odometer all work. Last fall the odometer stopped working, so I opened it up and fixed it. (Thanks to bmw2002faq. com!). The new clutch engages nice and tight. Heater and vents all work great.

I seized the original engine early this Spring. Over the summer I put in a donor engine from another 2002, and in the process replaced the transmission with a better 4-speed than the original had. I also replaced the center bearing on the driveshaft while I was there. Honestly, the car runs and drives great. Its really fun. I'd recommend starting to update the suspension and brakes. Since the car sat, the brakes feel a bit spongy, and probably need to be bled. The cars original hood was really damaged, so I found a maroon one, then and even better tan colored one. It came off the donor car.. and who knows why the underside is yellow. Weird, I know.

Here's a link to a LOT of pictures.

www.rchptch.com/photos/2002

Here's a funny video of the car my friend made in the spring just before I seized the engine.

I'm kind of endeared to this little car since it got me through all of last winter without a problem. The car is priced fair, and would be a great entry 2002 for someone. OR take it to the track and start having some fun. (just bleed the brakes first!) I have the clean title ready to go.

Asking 1000 or best offer!

Let me know if you have additional questions. Thanks for reading!

Rich

Rich

1972 Chamonix 2002 - Daily

1977 International Scout II