• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know how to test a VW blower motor resistor?

eurotrash

The Climatronic in our Eurovan threw a blower motor code, and now we have no heat in the front of the vehicle.. I tested the motor and it spun like mad with 12V. I tested the voltage to the rear blower motor with the controls on high and got 13 + volts, teated the front and was getting only 5 volts or less. Which as I understand it, points to this resistor.. but I have no VAG-COM to prove it.

Does anyone know a procedure for testing this little guy before I am forced to drop a dime on a new one.. they ain't cheap!!!

648621c5.jpg

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I don't know at all Jason, but that's a hell of a tool in the top part of the picture. Is that a phillips bit attached to an extension with electrical tape?

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I don't know at all Jason, but that's a hell of a tool in the top part of the picture. Is that a phillips bit attached to an extension with electrical tape?

Yeeeah.

..Held in a 1/4" socket with the tape. The securing screw was down facing..

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

You need a DVOM, and need to test the resistance at each fan speed setting (except full speed, which sends direct power to the blower motor), and it might be helpful if you have the wiring diagram (although VW/Audi diagrams are unique!). If this does not make sense, pull out the resistor and take it to your local auto technician and have him do it - takes less than a minute.

HTH

Marshall