• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine question about claim in ebay ad 300494375028

eastsidebimmer

I received a reply from the seller.

My email to seller:

Your description includes reference to an upgraded short block. Can you tell me more about this option, or refer me to documentation that supports this claim? I'm not trying to bust your chops, I simply have never encountered mention of this motor option before. I've heard of race motors that run 8k+ rpm's, but they don't run at those rpm's on pump gas, don't run well on the street, have HUGE intakes (dual 45 or 50 DCOE's, not a single 32/36 like in the photo of the car you're selling), and they certainly didn't come from the BMW factory in Munich as an option.

From what I understand, the rev limit of a stock M10 motor is imposed by the head, since the valves start floating around 7k rpm's. I can't imagine that installing a new bottom end would increase the rev range beyond the limit imposed by the head.

Seller's reply:

Option was installed by BMW as a new engine in 1978. Contact them for information. The information listed is from the owner who also included all the manuals, extra parts and a notarized statement of mileage.

Sounds like the seller bought himself some nonsense, and is finding out from interested parties via eBay. It strikes me as rather odd that after buying and selling 500+ cars the seller hasn't learned to recognize the difference between supportable claims and horseshiat.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

i too wrote the seller with questions...it's my understanding that the seller of the car on ebay is not the current owner but is only brokering the deal for the owner

basically i got somewhat the response, seller knows nothing about the car other than what he was told by the owner...seller stated that the owner wrote the ebay description

He also said the Brembo Brake kit is not installed, and if it doesn't reach reserve, he may sell the kit separately. I got the impression he bought the car at auction, as he stated: "I am not a bmw 2002 expert and only posting what the original owner wrote up for me after auction."

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg