• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior Color Combinations?

bracohen

I have a 72 sahara with tan/brown leather interior and was wondering if it was offered with different interiors? I've seen the charcoal interior and I am curious about if that was ever in a stock sahara, or if cloth interiors were ever available for these cars.

thanks

I think brown, red, or black would all look decent. I'm going the full black carpeting with red stitching with recaros with a little CF on the chrome strips. will get pics when im done.

but Sahara is one of those colours where you can't go wrong with. I bet you could get away with an oldschool blue look with some front seats from a E28M5 and dye the rest. Good luck!

my name's Nick

I think brown, red, or black would all look decent. I'm going the full black carpeting with red stitching with recaros with a little CF on the chrome strips. will get pics when im done.

but Sahara is one of those colours where you can't go wrong with. I bet you could get away with an oldschool blue look with some front seats from a E28M5 and dye the rest. Good luck!

I've seen the sahara with a full red interior and black before, both looked good. I just want to keep it time correct before I go all out with it. My daily driver is straight blue on the inside so I'm kinda over blue haha.

I have the original '02 color and upholstery brochure from '74. Seems to be too large of a file to post here. if anyone wants to check it out, email me from the board.

bracohen has now posted this (nice job!) on the Forum.

1974 Amazonasgrun tii "Hellcat"

1990 K75S

I have a 72 sahara with tan/brown leather interior and was wondering if it was offered with different interiors? I've seen the charcoal interior and I am curious about if that was ever in a stock sahara, or if cloth interiors were ever available for these cars.

thanks

Sahara was available with tan/brown leatherette (ie vinyl) interior with black on the upper part of the door & rear panels.

Cloth was available and very common in Europe but pretty rare in the US.

The colour chart indicates the interior colour & material (S = cloth, K = leatherette) for the exterior colour.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Les -

Is that information for Euro cars only?

My Malaga tii should have the "brown/tobacco" leatherette and not the black as the chart indicates.

I got this brochure from a dealership in Northern California (back in 1975) so I assume it was for US cars. I think dealers could do substituttions back then so who knows.

1974 Amazonasgrun tii "Hellcat"

1990 K75S

Les -

Is that information for Euro cars only?

My Malaga tii should have the "brown/tobacco" leatherette and not the black as the chart indicates.

Jim,

I believe it's an English version of what was standard offering for Europe. They spell color as colour (hehe).

I think you could order a different colour interior (special order) and I believe you could also order real leather as an option too.

Les

FAQ Member #17

Hoffman Motors was the importer. That's why you never see US roundies with cloth interiors -- Hoffman ordered 'em all with the optional (at extra cost, of course) vinyl interiors with (also optional) reclining seats.

When BMW AG took over US distribution in 1975, you started seeing cloth interiors on late 75 and 76 US spec 2002s.

Generally speaking, on roundies, Malaga, Agave, Nevada, Sahara cars came with tobacco/caramel tan/brown interiors, while Chamoinx, Atlantic, Granada, Polaris, Turkis, etc came with black interiors. The exception was that some early cars that the catalogs show as having black interiors came with dark blue--the story I got from Michel Poteau was that the factory had a lot of leftover blue upholstery material meant for NK cars, and had it made into 2002 seats.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

thanks

Sahara was available with tan/brown leatherette (ie vinyl) interior with black on the upper part of the door & rear panels.

Cloth was available and very common in Europe but pretty rare in the US.

The colour chart indicates the interior colour & material (S = cloth, K = leatherette) for the exterior colour.

Wow very cool. I would love to have cloth interior, I may just go for it now that I know they actually were produced like that.

Wow very cool. I would love to have cloth interior, I may just go for it now that I know they actually were produced like that.

Cloth is an excellent choice.

The original interior in my Touring (pic attached) was a cloth/corduroy type material. I changed the front seats for Recaros in vinyl, and driving in the hot San Antonio summers everything I own is wet. With the original seats this was not the case.

I use covers over the Recaros for longer drives now. If they ever need recovering they will get cloth inserts.

Les

FAQ Member #17