• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOUND a portable engine stand

jgerock

See down in the thread. I may still make a vertical support for it.

Other than using the standard-issue engine stand, does anyone here have any ideas for a small, short engine stand or cart that can be used to store an engine upright that allows work to be performed on it?

I've seen metal carts at Sears/Harbor Freight and other places for hauling tools around, but think they are too tall and you'd have to lay the engine on it's side.

Here is Bill Williams' cart which looks usable but might be a little top-heavy.

ae46b448.jpg

I'm thinking of something a little taller than this with larger casters

tiiengineonstand.jpg

BTW - I did a search for "engine AND stand AND portable" which resulted in an old thread with this same question BY ME (LOL).

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,328310/highlight,engine+stand+portable/

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Just a thought off the top of my head, it might be a relatively easy project to add large casters to a front sub frame that is homeless

The engine on the cart appears to be on a short stand and sitting on some 4x4s, looks really top heavy.

Maybe the bottom shelf has been well ballasted.

I've considered going this way. The ability to work on the engine at a comfortable level is really appealing. I've considered a scissor lift with the stand mounted to it.

One could raise the lift to work on the engine and then lower to move around overcoming the top heavy issue.

post-15138-13667634359103_thumb.gif

"Common sense isn't common"

Just a thought off the top of my head, it might be a relatively easy project to add large casters to a front sub frame that is homeless

I was thinking the same thing - maybe chop off the ends so it isn't as wide.

Jim Gerock

I've considered going this way. The ability to work on the engine at a comfortable level is really appealing. I've considered a scissor lift with the stand mounted to it.

One could raise the lift to work on the engine and then lower to move around overcoming the top heavy issue.

That looks pretty neat. Where did you find it? I get catalogs from C&H Distributors at work - they have some neat "back saving" lifting devices for warehouse use, but most are too big for my small garage.

http://www.chdist.com/material-handling-equipment/carts-trucks/d-87952-87952-153418

Very pricey!

http://www.chdist.com/material-handling-equipment/lift-tables-tilt-tables/d-90966-90966-153517

http://www.chdist.com/material-handling-equipment/lift-tables-tilt-tables/d-90938-90938-153517

For the ultimate

http://www.easy-run.net/c-9-professional-series.aspx

Much better

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=lift+cart

Jim Gerock

What you are seeing in my photo is a engine stand, home made, sitting on top of a tool cart.

Casters on the upper stand would be good. Mike Pugh has the design, it is much like the one you posted.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

What you are seeing in my photo is a engine stand, home made, sitting on top of a tool cart.

Casters on the upper stand would be good. Mike Pugh has the design, it is much like the one you posted.

Thanks Bill - Mike Pugh just sent me an e-mail with some pics.

Here are the pictures Mike sent to me

DSC04702.jpg

DSC04675.jpg

Jim Gerock

Guest Anonymous

Somewhere in my stuff I have a pic of what Schnitzer used - essentially a larger box frame (tube), had pins on the sides that specially made (extended motor mounts - bolted into the motor mount position), very simple. Will scan it on Monday if I can and post it then.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/

Called the Harbor Freight store in Dale City (VA) which is about 20 miles South. They had at least (3) of these in stock, so Susan and I braved the late Black Friday traffic and I picked up the scissor-lift cart.

$ 159.99 before tax.

Easy to assemble with just (2) end rollers, the pump handle and upright push bar (using 9/16" and 1/2" wrenches - not included in box).

If I remove the push bar, it could be used to lift a tranny, differential, etc. It will certainly help me work on the VW engine.

IMG_4966.jpg

IMG_4967.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4968.jpg

IMG_4969.jpg

All the way down

IMG_4973.jpg

All the way up (this puts the table right at my trunk opening on the tii

IMG_4971.jpg

Jim Gerock

Called the Harbor Freight store in Dale City (VA) which is about 20 miles South. $ 159.99 before tax. If I remove the push bar, it could be used to lift a tranny, differential, etc. It will certainly help me work on the VW engine.

Jim, you have read my mind. That is exactly what I was thinking about. By mounting a stand like Bill's on top you could raise the motor to work on it and then lower it for transporting around the shop.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

An engine mounted on a normal stand has always worked great for me - I do clutch work last, thus it's done either on the cherry picker, or I lower the engine on a careful arangement of a couple wood blocks and an old tire. We also use work carts to hold the engine and raise the car away from the engine.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

I am using a standard engine stand for the tii engine - clutch and flywheel removed first. I may build a small support stand w/casters using some scrap metal from work (welding by others).

pics11272010020.jpg

For now, the scissor lift will be used for the VW. I always have trouble getting the VW engine off the jack and onto the ground so it clears the rear apron. This time, with my wife's assistance, I put the engine on my old skateboard then rolled it out.

The sideways mounting of the engine adaptor (as seen in Ben's picture) was sucessfully used by Marshall Lytle on his M10 engine - we looked up the mounting points on Keith Kreeger's website (www.my2002tii.com).

Jim Gerock

This time, with my wife's assistance, I put the engine on my old skateboard then rolled it out.

the skateboard will now be slippery!

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007