• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

officially on suicide watch!!!

RoccoGilroy

So I finally got around to tackling my heater box rebuild and dash replacement... I rebuilt a spare heater box top to bottom and was very excited because the heater halve seemed to work great!!! I took it off and polished it up before reinstalling it. I tore the old dash out like a cave man and painstakingly installed the new dash (not new but one with a dash cap.) took forever!!! Took out the old heater, cleaned up the crud around the seal and popped the new one in. Took forever to get the cables all perfect so everything opened and closed all the way!!! This hole process took the better part of three days. Finally got everything put back together and fired it up for a test drive. Got it hot and turned on the heater. Worked great! Got hot and all the cables worked perfect! Got back and popped the hood to make sure there were no leaks. Peaked at the heater valve and guess what??? The mother fucker is dripping coolant!!!! My heart sank and i started thinking about which establishment would let me buy a bullet and rent a gun... FUCK ME RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

so it's just the heater valve leaking? Just tighten the hose clamps on it, the screws on it, or pull it out and take it apart and seal it up better and put it back in there... shouldn't take more than a couple hours if you take your time...

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

did you actually open up the valve and replace the o-rings???

that is a 'must-do' part of the process.

btw, i've given up on trying to unscrew those two slotted machine screws holding the cover on. i now drill them out, retap and replace with small bolt and nut.

o-rings can be found in the plumbing section of a well-stock hardware store. if you can't find one thick enough for the small diameter piece, use two on top of each other. no leaks yet...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

it could have been

1) a leaking heater core

2) incorrectly installed control cables that wouldn't move

3) the resistor block was bad so you didn't have intermediate speeds on the fan

4) the fan was hitting the cold air mixer door and making a dinging sound

5) the fan was connected in reverse so it sucked air vs blowing it

6) the fan motor decided not to work at all

See, it coulda been a lot worse! BTW, don't put the valve back together with pop rivets; it'll distort the cover. Either retap the holes or use small machine screws and nuts.

cheers,

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I feel your pain. Keep the faith.

After driving home from college in sub-zero temperatures, I rebuilt my first heater box in 2005. After six hours of frustrating work and cut-up hands, I finally had a dry, warm interior. Soon after I caught myself looking upon people in their new cars with disdain because they hadn't "earned" their heat. Ha!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

The clamps are tight. It's defiantly the valve. Just frustrating!!! Don't want to take it out again... I'm just being a cry baby.

Removing the heater valve is a 10 minute job so it could be a lot worse.

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

Ok update. When dry testing the valve a few days ago it felt perfect! Not too stiff not to tight. As soon as the valve got coolant in it and loosened up it started to leak. I took the box out and the valve off. Valve was super loose! (not frozen solid like many others iv seen in the past. Pulled it apart and it looks like the o ring is not providing any resistance. It's hard and not at all rubbery any more. Not cracked though... I'm heading over to orchard supply now to find a replacement o ring. How tight should the valve be?

I'm heading over to orchard supply now to find a replacement o ring. How tight should the valve be?

be sure to replace BOTH o-rings, not just the one on the arbor (or whatever it's called). the brass cover has a larger thinner one that should be replaced, too. if you have some silicone grease that's helpful to smooth things out as well. don't use regular grease on rubber.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I misread earlier. Not using robots to hold the valve on. Used robots to put the box itself back together. I'll try to use the original screws to hold the valve in place. Found a good o ring size I'll post later if it works lol.

Used robots to put the box itself back together.

Damn robots.

Never could remember the first the first directive.

Seriously, (sort of) look how proficient you'll be at heater box removals.

I can feel your pain. My pain has slowly healed from my heater box refurb this past summer. If I only had a robot to do all the work.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I must have done something wrong to someone cuz this operation has been fucked since jump street!!!!!!!!! Rebuilt valve put box back in go to test the cables and the valve cable snapped right at the valve connection!!! I can't believe my fucking luck today!!!!!! I'm ready to kill myself now... No sence in putting it off anymore... Any suggestions? Don't think the cable will be long enough to reatach and allow the valve to fully operate. This sucks!!!