• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

officially on suicide watch!!!

RoccoGilroy

Intruder alert! You're being possessed by the evil project devils. Take a break, have a brew, and see if any kind souls in your area will drop by and lend a hand or moral support.

You can also quit for the day and try tomorrow.

Good luck.

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

Pulled the box AGAIN got look at the broken wire. Ended up having just enough room to make the valve open and close "ok". New dash with cap looks "ok" not great. At least I won't have to look at the grand cannyons any more... Heater functions well with no leaks so that's a good thing. Had to trim the dash cap to make the glovebox close. Trying to reinstall the center console now. Bitch of a day!!!

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

BTW you don't need to pull the whole heater box out to replace the heater valve... just sayin'.

The heater valve cable is still available new # 64 11 1 351 484. Dealer list is $22.50 and there are currently 14 of them in BMW's two California warehouses. So the dealer should be able to get you one in just a few days.

Did you clean up the little pivot bolt that holds the cable at the heater valve so that it spins freely instead of binding and bending the cable every time?? There is a specific pattern to assembling the bolt and washers so that it can pivot freely...

bolt, lever, washer, cable, washer, nut...

I use copper anti seize to keep that little bolt from, well, seizing.

BTW2, I use rivets to put the box together. I also install new grommets at every pivot in the box, available at OSH... Also use and trim foam on every flap as per original, also available at OSH under the glass cutting table near the sheet rubber and cork. Closed cell foam tape around the heater core works wonders as well....

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I experienced something similar... I decided that rather than suicide, I'd bypass the heater altogether in the engine compartment, and wear warm clothes those 3 days out of the year that I drive the O2 in cold weather...

It's not a daily driver....

Sorry you had to go through all that ! I'm definitely not reconnecting mine after reading this !

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD