• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW Workers Steal millions in parts & sell on internet

f1reverb

Full story . . .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333874/BMW-workers-Germany-steal-car-parts-piece-time.html

A gang of thieves working at a BMW plant in Germany took a leaf out of country singer Johnny Cash’s book - and decided to steal the factory ‘one piece at a time.’

Over several years they stole over three million pounds worth of parts.

Wheel arches, gear stick knobs, brake systems, steering columns, blank keys and car seats were among the valuable booty.

500x_bmw_plnt.jpg

Shift knobs and key blanks are one thing, but to smuggle out seats!!

Doesn't say much for BMW's security outfit.

Don't ask me why I remember that Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time".

About 10 years ago, I visited a customer near Charlottesville, VA who made compact discs and the jewell boxes. Even though I was a vendor and had an appointment, I was not allowed past the lobby because my contact was on vacation.

While waiting to speak to another employee, I witnessed another employee getting frisked before they took a smoke break - turns out that was their standard procedure for all factory workers to ensure no stealing took place. I thought that was mighty odd.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Shift knobs and key blanks are one thing, but to smuggle out seats!!

Doesn't say much for BMW's security outfit.

Don't ask me why I remember that Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time".

About 10 years ago, I visited a customer near Charlottesville, VA who made compact discs and the jewell boxes. Even though I was a vendor and had an appointment, I was not allowed past the lobby because my contact was on vacation.

While waiting to speak to another employee, I witnessed another employee getting frisked before they took a smoke break - turns out that was their standard procedure for all factory workers to ensure no stealing took place. I thought that was mighty odd.

30 years back I was working at the Royal Mint, Wales, UK, putting in a Slab Milling Line.

Their security included X-ray scanners at the exit. It cost me a fortune, as I would often dash in, in the morning half asleep, only to realise I had pocket full of change. I was not getting back out with it!

They had lockers where you could put your coins in on the way in, but mostly, even after being there several months, I would forget.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17