• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Sahara take it or leave it Build Restoration

07GTIMYFAST

Details on the air ride setup? Brand, specs, etc? Cool project.

sorry it took me so long to update,

the usual "busy with work and new house" excuse but in reality the weather has just been perfect for riding and I couldn't waste it working in the garage :)

anyway, the air ride setup that was on it was just thrown together all cutom. The new system will also be custom but better detail, here are some pics of the old setup.

verticsal.jpg

BAG-1.jpg

strut.jpg

BAG2.jpg

F-down.jpg

alldown.jpg

backup.jpg

new setup will be MUCH cleaner and lower. but basically the old sytem was bags, viair compressor, tank, and 4 valves (front and back)

But I have recently started back working on the car, after a failed first attempt at spraying primer I realized I needed a much larger compressor to spray even small pieces. working on that now. Also a friend of mine owns a mobile soda blasting buisness and has offered to do my car for cost. which will save me soo much time stripping paint. next on my list is fabbing up the trunk frame to mount the fuel cell and air management components. Then framing the front clip to make room for FMIC and larger radiator. pics to come soon

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so sitting bored at work I drew up the plans for the boot

making this (stolen pic):

TRUNK.jpg

fit all this:

trunk2-1.jpg

If you don't know what you are looking at, it's the entire air management system on the left, the fuel cell on the right, all subfloor mounted with hardwood floor and the fuel neck comming out of the floor and a matched spare wheel/tire mounted behind the seat.

also notice the 2 compressors being in a seperate "bay" from the rest of the management, it will have a air duct in the front and luvers in the back with a ventury shape that will speed up the air as it passes the compressor cooling fins to disperse the heat better and not spread heat to the rest of the trunk.

Just trying to get a plan down before I start fabbing up the trunk subfloor, and have to add weight by adding brackets for something I forgot

• 5 months later...

Cooler weather is here, time to do some work..

continuing engine bay shaving/seam welding/radiator support. Starting trunk sub-flooring. Picked up a getrag 260 to handle the extra boost, going to mock up and cut/fab larger trans tunnel and supports.

well.jpg

trunk-1.jpg

trans.jpg

slow is steady, do it right the first time

I will definitely be subscribing to this thread. I am happy to see that someone is going the "slammed" route. i would like to go super low someday... but im currently trying to do a M42 swap, so the money is wrapped up in that for a while.

bmw2002walnut,st_opt (1).jpg

74' 2002

I will definitely be subscribing to this thread. I am happy to see that someone is going the "slammed" route. i would like to go super low someday... but im currently trying to do a M42 swap, so the money is wrapped up in that for a while.

The only problem with the slammed route is where to run a 3" exhaust with a huge (comparatively) transmission in the way. Passenger fender exit anyone?

I know it has been a while...any chance you still have the raintray left?...I am looking for one as well as the piece at the top middle that holds the hood locking mechanism.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

found some fueling parts on the cheap this weekend, couldn't pass them up even though it will be a serious fuel system.

Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, A12304 carb adjustable boost reference regulator 3-15 psi start pressure with a 1:1 rise rate. 10 micron, 100 micron filters, 100 feet of 1/2 aluminum fuel line, all the fittings -10 an for the pump inlet side and -8 an for the output and return line. all brand new stuff.

pump.jpg

doing some brackets:

tankie.jpg

little sneak peak:

web.jpg

rough design of turbo manifold:

pipe2.jpg

jury is out on what to do as far as a rear diff, but the rear subframe will be modified to house a larger stronger LSD. also getting ready to mock up the 260 trans to a bare block and drop it in to determine how big the tunnel needs to be and fab the trans mounts.