• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tip Top update -- Thank you

shipm_8

It's been three weeks since the accident where Tip Top 2761688, our Málaga 72tii, gave up its life to save mine. She's been decommissioned, many of its parts will continue to serve, and its spirit lives on. I am learning a great deal as I part it out. Over the past three weeks we also confirmed what we already knew: That 02ers are a caring, supportive, amazing group. Thank you.

The great news is, that there is another Tip Top in our home, an Inka 72tii that arrived this weekend. Bought her from a fellow FAQ member and we feel fortunate that we ended up with a friend, and a car. This really is a great community. Meet Tip Top and stay tuned for updates:

L1090556.jpg

L1090576.jpg

L1090581.jpg

L1090585.jpg

L1090597.jpg

so that's how the old linkages look like in real life

L1090608.jpg

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

NICE!

What's that thing draped over the upper radiator hose?

Cheers,

Ray

uh...a poorly-routed radiator overflow vent hose. The kind of observation, Ray, that propels me into this thought: Should I go out to the front yard, route the hose properly, retake the picture and post it, or just go to sleep? Existing radiator was leaking,so seller was kind to give me this newer one, which his mechanic installed before I called AAA to get the car towed home. Car runs, but hasn't been driven for over a year.

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

Why sleep at 5pm?

... I see that fixing the clock will be on your list also!

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

NICE!

What's that thing draped over the upper radiator hose?

Cheers,

Ray

uh...a poorly-routed radiator overflow vent hose. The kind of observation, Ray, that propels me into this thought: Should I go out to the front yard, route the hose properly, retake the picture and post it, or just go to sleep? Existing radiator was leaking, so seller was kind to give me this newer one, which his mechanic installed before I called AAA to get the car towed home. Car runs, but hasn't been driven for over a year.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Guest Anonymous

William, If you remember we conversed about interior door handles a few years ago and discovered that our cars (your dearly departed) appeared to be nearly identical twins, separated at birth ('72 Malagas/tan interiors). So I would be interested what parts are still available. I am quite interested in both rear quarters, presuming they were always totally rust free. Good luck with the "new" car, it looks to have great potential. I'm sure it will be "tip top" in no time. Regards and good luck.

Roger

RBenson685@aol.com

I can tell you're an old Navy guy when you said the original Tip Top had been "stricken from the list." That's what the Navy does when it decommissions a ship.

Looking forward to seeing the new one come through Ohio again so we can have one of our informal getogethers.

Cheers from Beautiful Beavercreek

mike & the SW Ohio gang

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Congrats indeed William!

I notice the cowl doesn't have the "notch" for checking the timing, but the engine has aluminum runners. Please share your VIN. Is it 2762xxx?

I'd like to find one like you purchased someday - not for the same reasons though ;-).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"