• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALPINA A4s engine specs and HP

rey949

Anyone here know what the specs were for an Alpina A4s engine and the output it generates?

I tried searching the forum for feedback on Metric Mechanic engines and reliability. Anyone experienced with their engines?

I currently have a motor being buit by mororwerks in San Diego and they are very reputable.

So what is the big difference?

Other than going to spend huge money having a Lester Owen built engine who is the best?

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

02chart.jpg

m10camspecs.jpg

just for comparision>>

M42MOTOR.jpg

happy hp hunting

alpina02fotomotor.jpg

and with due respect - you ask about "reliability" -

you should really reconsider yer direction -

You can buy a complete ready to play E30 S14 motor with 190+hp

and have any parts you need available right off dealers shelves, or

'tuner' catalogs next day.

your looking for ancient, museum quality, rarer than rare frail

used parts to keep up with stock S14 output - not 'reliable ' or

cheep.

S14motorcutaway.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

I have a MM Hiflow 2.3 liter engine and am very satisfied with it. Great low end torque and higher rpm accleration. Changed the car to "really fun." Well worth the money, and btw, MM staff are very easy people with whom to work. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

RBenson685@aol.com

There are various number floating around for A4 out there. According to Taylor & McCartney's book "The BMW 2002" A4 is 160 bhp and A4S is 168 bhp. In CAR mag article about Jan's (former?) A4 touring, it said those numbers are low and that Jan's car put out 180 bhp.

But current A4s are often built to slightly different spec than ALPINA used. I would guess the numbers are somewhere between 155 and 180, depending on how you build it. You can get these numbers with webers, but the thing with the A4 is that, once properly tuned, it is much more driveable on the street.

I am aware of one A4 that had the motor built by Metric Mechanic and it ran so poorly it needed to be redone almost immediately. YMMV.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

I want to build the utimate Tii. Would an S14 (M2) in a Tii be more desireable than an original Alpina A4 spec with original Alpina injection and KF pump setup?

Let's put it this way..not saying i have this ...BUT

If you HAD the complete Alpina injection setup for an A4 and you already had an S14 motor what would you do?

Rey

I want to build the utimate Tii. Would an S14 (M2) in a Tii be more desireable than an original Alpina A4 spec with original Alpina injection and KF pump setup?

let's let current example answer your question...

there is a certain, very nicely done, early VIN (former tii) with an S14 conversion that is consistently FAILING to get its asking price of around $20K despite what appears to be a solid body around this engine. this particular car has appeared on this forum and on ebay.

my 'take-home' message from this is that a tii retains its value as a tii and not an S14 in a tii body. i would hazard a guess that having an A4 injection in your tii will only be worth the cost of the A4 system if the car it's in is not in top shape and will only increase the value of a nice tii by 'the cost of the A4 system' installed.

do it because you want to, not because you think you can make a profit or break even, chances are, you wont.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Let's put it this way..not saying i have this ...BUT

If you HAD the complete Alpina injection setup for an A4 and you already had an S14 motor what would you do?

Rey

You're asking questions only you can answer. what's your budget? A4 will be much more than a S14. Looking for reliable? Rarity? Cool factor? Do you have any parts resources for an A4? etc etc.

If I could trade my s14 for a complete A4 system, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But again, I don't need my 73 as a DD.

Plus what Jerry said^^^

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

..."if you HAD the complete Alpina injection

setup for an A4, and you already had an S14

motor what would you do? Rey "

S14 is more 'tunable' with very available

stuff - the A4 is stuck with limits like the pump

cone, injectors, and your not going to be 'tuning'

any A4 beyond its current output unless your name

is Joey Alpina Jr. with grandpa's trunk full of cones

and un-uptainium.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I think if you have a Tii with Ti stuff on it, it will always be more valuable than an S14 conversion or any other conversion based on a Tii body. Best to let the Tii be a Tii. if you want to mod the shit out an 20 use a non Tii car

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Having driven a series of M2' and A4's, it would be tough for me to choose one over the other. Everybody that drives an A4 seems to love them, and everybody who drives an M2 seems to love theirs too. Both are equally cool.

What it may come down to, arguably, is whether you like to see "M POWER" or "ALPINA" when you open your hood.

FAQ Member # 91

Also the M42 and M44 are becoming very popular transplants. You can easily get 200+ Hp from an M42/44 with a basic bolt on supercharger. My friend has one on his Z3 and has driven it for over 100k with the supercharger. Still puts out over 200hp

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I thought that since the Tii is already fuel injected; it would be a better candidate for an upgraded Injection setup like the A4. Also, the brakes and suspension are upgraded as well so we dont have to alter those as well. Am i correct? Or maybe an 02 with an e21 brake upgrade and aftermarket suspension setup would be a cheaper build and aschieve the same thing?

Can a stock 2002 head hndle the fuel injection setup? I would need a Tii engine or engine cover anyway correct?

New to this so just asking.

I thought that since the Tii is already fuel injected; it would be a better candidate for an upgraded Injection setup like the A4. Also, the brakes and suspension are upgraded as well so we dont have to alter those as well. Am i correct? Or maybe an 02 with an e21 brake upgrade and aftermarket suspension setup would be a cheaper build and aschieve the same thing?

Can a stock 2002 head hndle the fuel injection setup? I would need a Tii engine or engine cover anyway correct?

New to this so just asking.

tii engine and heads are the same as most regular 02, the only difference is the timing chain cover that incorporates a place to bolt the injection pump. You could take the A4 injection system and bolt it to a regular tii (I did that), and although will not reach "full potential" it will transform the car and give you a taste. Later on you can upgrade you engine to more adequately handle the A4 (I did that), that is in the 5 to 7 k rpm range, where you need more flow and better rockers and springs.

FAQ Member # 91