• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Transport-FL to NY

Sarki

Hey all-need to transport a non-02 collector car from Orlando area to just outside of NYC without having to refinance my home. Anybody have any first hand experience with a transporter they could recommend. Car is fully driveable. Not looking for a megatransporter where they need to move the car around as they pick others up. Enclosed/protected from the elements is preferred but not mandatory if price for enclosed is cost prohibitive.

Any recommendations?

74 Tii-SOLD

01 Honda S2000

91 Volvo 945 SE Turbo

69 Datsun SRL 311 Roadster

"Why Johnny Ringo, looks like somebody just walked ova your grave" -Tombstone-Val Kilmer

I've only used a transporter once, to have a 4 door NK 1969 2000 transported from California to where I live, Rochester, NY and I used, at the recommendation of Don Dethlefsen, of The Werkshop, Horseless Carriage Carriers., enclosed carrier and the car stayed on the same truck the entire trip. You can get a quote from these folks and they call you a couple of times prior to arriving at your place; the day before and again within a couple of hours.

Tim.

www.horselesscarriage.com

usually a lot of transportation offers.

The trick is to find someone/company who's delivering a car to Florida and is deadheading empty back to the NE, or a FL company doing the opposite.

Also check archives on the FAQ; there should be a bunch of posts on the subject as it comes up quite often.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Called Horseless Carriage and received a quote of $1,250.....a bit north of my budget but probably close to what others will charge. Was hoping for less. I'll follow Mike's suggestion and do a search to see if anyone has other Transporters to recommended as well.

Love to fly down and drive it back but the lousy weather has me concerned.

74 Tii-SOLD

01 Honda S2000

91 Volvo 945 SE Turbo

"Why Johnny Ringo, looks like somebody just walked ova your grave" -Tombstone-Val Kilmer

I've used DAS and a privateer from USHIP.COM -- the full scale commercial mover has some advantages, including GPS tracking, the little rigs can sometimes get it to you faster, but check the insurance and the DOT status on the driving team.

Wayne Carini on Chasing Classic Cars seems to use a firm called Precious Metal for the episodes where they go to Amelia Island. Try some google searching on SnowBird auto transportation. You are likely going to get a better deal on a empty rig headed north this time of year.

Good Luck.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

When I sold my '73 Tii to Jim Gerock he used a guy to transport the car from MA to VA that I thought was pretty good. The guy had his own van and trailer and transported the car himself. I liked this method better than loading the car up onto a semi-trailer with a mindless driver who is just transporting 'cargo'. If I can find the guy's card I'll send along his contact info, or maybe Jim can chime in. He'll tow along the entire east coast so he would definitly tow from FL to NYC. I don't know the cost though as Jim arranged things, but I'm sure he's inline with what most other shippers are charging.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

When I sold my '73 Tii to Jim Gerock he used a guy to transport the car from MA to VA that I thought was pretty good. The guy had his own van and trailer and transported the car himself. I liked this method better than loading the car up onto a semi-trailer with a mindless driver who is just transporting 'cargo'. If I can find the guy's card I'll send along his contact info, or maybe Jim can chime in. He'll tow along the entire east coast so he would definitly tow from FL to NYC. I don't know the cost though as Jim arranged things, but I'm sure he's inline with what most other shippers are charging.

I would like to pursue this a bit further. Please do forward the info if you're able to locate it. I would prefer a smaller independant operation if possible, provided I can verify valid insurance.

74 Tii-SOLD

01 Honda S2000

91 Volvo 945 SE Turbo

First - Contact Bill Williams on this board.He is in the business and is one of us. Second- Google Minuteman Transport. When you talk with George (the owner), tell him I (Tim Jones) referred you and that you want the commercial rate. Fl. to the NE is his business. He has moved a gazzillion collector cars (including a bunch of mine). He is very competitive and the service (covered, insured, good communication, etc.) is top notch. Personally, I'd give Bill the first shot as he is a member here and has a first rate reputation in the community.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

First - Contact Bill Williams on this board.He is in the business and is one of us. Second- Google Minuteman Transport. When you talk with George (the owner), tell him I (Tim Jones) referred you and that you want the commercial rate. Fl. to the NE is his business. He has moved a gazzillion collector cars (including a bunch of mine). He is very competitive and the service (covered, insured, good communication, etc.) is top notch. Personally, I'd give Bill the first shot as he is a member here and has a first rate reputation in the community.

Excellent, will follow up with both. My dates are extremely flexible so hopefully that will work in my favor.

Thanks for the leads!

74 Tii-SOLD

01 Honda S2000

91 Volvo 945 SE Turbo

Through Uship I found a fellow named Simon Tack to haul my tii from boston to Philly for $250 as he was returning light and had room.Very good price and he was an excellent communicator during the entire run. No damage or hassle. This was about a year and a half ago.

his # is 919-273-2450

simontack@aol.com

1972 2002tii

I am working for Applewood Enclosed Transport and all we do is enclosed transport. We are in Florida every week and in NY every week.

I know we are loading a truck on Thursday for a trip down on Monday that will be leaving out of Florida on Wednesday.

We carry a million dollar policy on what is the box. Bruce can give you all the particulars when you talk to him. Bruce also owns a 1972 2002 tii. We have the exclusive agreement to haul all the new Lambos out of the port of Baltimore. By close of business tomorrow, I will have moved 8 new Lambo Gallardos. We also move cars for Manhattan Motorsport, Algar and Washington Ferrari, a few private collectors and several high end brokers.

Give Bruce Hall, the owner, a call, tell him I referred you.

Bill Williams

Bruce's TN 304-283-3661

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I am working for Applewood Enclosed Transport and all we do is enclosed transport. We are in Florida every week and in NY every week.

I know we are loading a truck on Thursday for a trip down on Monday that will be leaving out of Florida on Wednesday.

We carry a million dollar policy on what is the box. Bruce can give you all the particulars when you talk to him. Bruce also owns a 1972 2002 tii. We have the exclusive agreement to haul all the new Lambos out of the port of Baltimore. By close of business tomorrow, I will have moved 8 new Lambo Gallardos. We also move cars for Manhattan Motorsport, Algar and Washington Ferrari, a few private collectors and several high end brokers.

Give Bruce Hall, the owner, a call, tell him I referred you.

Bill Williams

Bruce's TN 304-283-3661

Can't ask for a more helpful group of guys than this! Sold my 74tii to make room for a very sweet 69 Datsun Roadster. I will miss all the help and sound advice you guys have provided me with. I will be back in the future but this opportunity is hard to pass up.

74 Tii-SOLD

01 Honda S2000

91 Volvo 945 SE Turbo

I would like to pursue this a bit further. Please do forward the info if you're able to locate it. I would prefer a smaller independant operation if possible, provided I can verify valid insurance.

Thanks Brandon..

I used Blue Star, but they brokered it out to a guy based in Richmond, VA. I have his card at home (I'm down in GA for Christmas) so I won't be able to reply with the info until PM Sunday 12/26 or Monday.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"