• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear bumper help, please

pikeperkins

First off, Merry Christmas, Hanukah, Festivus, kwanzaa, etc to all. So I've got two types of rear bumper to replace my '74 db. One has short ends, the other long ones. The bumper with the long ends has a rubber strip and the other does not. The problem I'm having is that the rubber strip has broken on the driver's side and it cost $145 to replace it (not happening). Also, both sets of overriders have a cut out for the rubber strip and leaves a gap when not using the rubber strip.

Photobucket

So I decided to try and mishmash both of them together to make a good one. I think I want to cut the rubber strip so that it goes under the overrider and ends there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was wondering if anyone else has done something similiar or if I'm off my rocker. Any help would be appreciated.

As you're going the Euro route, loose the rear over-riders and use the bumper joiners.

Square light euro '02s rarely had rear over-riders and favoured the cleaner look.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I just did that job, it's quite a pain in the butt. Not hard per se, but refitting the bumperettes/overriders over a fresh rubber strip is difficult, the old one was kinda indented and it fit well, the new one not so much. You think the strip is pricey, wait till you realize how many of the trim clips are rusty and need to be replaced to attach the rubber...and how much they cost :-) the front bumper was much easier. Definitely use Steve/blunt, he's great, quick, and knowledgeable.

Your call, but if $145 is not gonna happen for you, forget about doing a proper job with the rubber, just go without overriders altogether...

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Guest Anonymous

I have some spare bumper parts; tell me what you need (end pieces with good rubber?) and I'll check what I've got.

Fran Ferrance

1972 2002

Ferrance@aol.com

Wrightwood CA

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I boned up on my lack of knowledge regarding bumpers last night. I think I am going to stick with the shorty and buy the Euro seam covers from Blunt with the '72 brackets to attach it to the body, plus associated hardware. I got a lot of info on the conversion from http://www.my2002tii.com/spring_2005/rearbumper.htm Thanks again, everyone and have a Merry Christmas!

as you've proposed, is that you will leave holes in the end pieces if you use the long ones. Of course the short ones don't have the holes, so you'll need to use them. It'll look OK--and most folks (other than those on the board of course) will never notice.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite