• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone ever built their own shop?

Arky2002

I am enduring the experience of building their own shop and would be pleased to relate my lessons learned - if anyone is interested.,

Clyde Gates BMW CCA #19280

2009 Rav4 (wife's ride)

06 Toyota PU (Parts hauler)

89 325ic

75 2002 (parts)

74 2002 (Pigcheeks project)

73 2002 (auto to fi stick project)

70/75 2002 rolling

Run a compressed air header around the perimeter with multiple quick connect fittings. I want to do this when I move to another place along with a real air compressor.

Put more lights in than you think you'll need. My garage came with (1) pathetic 100 watt light bulb, so I added (4) 48" long 2-bulb fluorescent fixtures simply hung by their chains from the ceiling. I'd like to add more because the (2) closest to the entrance are pulled back so the garage door doesn't block the light when up. Hmm, maybe I should screw some lights to the door itself to shine horizontal when closed and down when open.

Put in a bench that has a good working height for you. Marshall Lytle has a tall "bench" that covers/hides his air compressor - neat idea.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

More lights-

Griots had a sobering explination in on of their catalogs when they were selling their metal halide lights. The picture showed how much MORE light is needed to see what you are working on as your eyes age from 20 years old to 40 years old, to 60 years old.

In my little 20 by 20 space, I have six, 2-tube, 4 foot flouros. I am going to add two more. I also have plans to add task lighting for each bench as soon as I figure out what to do with the ceiling.

Light absorbtion is another consideration. I used to have some tall wall cabinets that I had painted the doors red to match the roll-away. They looked cool. When I replace the cabinets with some that had white doors, I was amazed at how much more light was shining down the side of the car. Floor and ceiling colors can also suck up the light.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Doesn't matter where you are, insulation is very important. I built my garage out of SIP's. They have a working R value of 38. Plus no thermal bridging.

I also put my air compressor in the attic so I don't have it banging in my ear and taking up floor space.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades