• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 turbo,pics of manifold and Questions.

new2bmw

I have not been here in a while, was debating whether to swap an m20 into my 318i or not, bought an 89 325i then decided i like the m10 even though i may not get the same power as the baby six, i somehow like the idea of working with four cylinders and having a light quick car.

I have a Cast log turbo manifold made by Dinan for the 318i. , 2 ihi turbos an intercooler I also have H&R sport springs and bilstein sport shocks installed on the 318i. I have put a ton of cash into the car so far, so i figure if it takes a bit more to get it where i want it so be it. I have 2 m10's so i can work on one and drop it in when done. I want around 150-200hp out of it, nothing too wild. I am thinking since a few guys have run the engine stock with boost, if i take a few steps, 2.0l crank, stronger headgasket and headbolts along with maintenance, timing chain, water pump etc, etc it should hopefully be fine.

does anybody have any bookmarked links to an m10 build that is well detailed, step by step, i am unsure of a few things, oil return , Oil/Coolant feed lines to the turbo (can oil cooler from 325i be used in some way?), i just need a guidline to go by. Also somebody mentioned something about

Chipped Bosch ECU , no idea what this means, never heard of this being used on m10 and Wide band O2 meter with gauge.

Please jump in and overload my brain with info here, i am moving so 325i has to go to scrap in a week so if i can use anything from the engine compartment at all to help out please let me know.

Sorry so long guys, just want this to go smooth and to have everthing before i start.

Heres some pics of the manifold.

t5.jpg

t4.jpg

t3.jpg

t2.jpg

t1.jpg

dinanturbomanifold.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

LARGE Dia. turbo oil return draining pipe

to a fitting installed in the oil pan - with a straight

shot unobstrusted - and not just heater hose

bracket(s) to support the turbo/exhaust manifold

if you don't - SOMETHING WILL BREAK.

oil cooler is a must -

and your in the middle of a MOVE ?

Turbo-Motor_11.jpg

Turbo-Motor_21.jpg

02Turbooilfiltercooler.jpg

• Thanks 1

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

wow, guys this is very useful stuff. please keep it coming. I am moving so its a matter of packing up what i can use and scraping the rest. You said oil cooler is a must, can i retrofit the 325i one for the job? or is there a better candidate for the job?

turbo oil return draining pipe

to a fitting installed in the oil pan

no, don't do that-

plumb it where CD's pic shows.

The pan will have oil in it almost to the top, and

the turbo drain NEEDS to drop into air.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

turbo oil return draining pipe

to a fitting installed in the oil pan

no, don't do that-

plumb it where CD's pic shows.

The pan will have oil in it almost to the top, and

the turbo drain NEEDS to drop into air.

t

No it doesn't, as long as the turbo is above the oil level and the return goes down all the way it will drain just fine.

I've used the stock drain plug location as an oil return for several thousands of miles without any issues at all.

High crankcase pressure will cause issues though, no matter where the drain is located.

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

wow, guys this is very useful stuff. please keep it coming. I am moving so its a matter of packing up what i can use and scraping the rest. You said oil cooler is a must, can i retrofit the 325i one for the job? or is there a better candidate for the job?

easiest way is to get an s14 oil filter head and retrofit an e30 cooler

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

You guys are amazing, pics and everything. Here is a bunch of pics of what a guy i know gave to me, he said it was stuff he was going to use on an m10 build. I dont even know what half of it is. I can give you info on the turbos if it will help. if you know what some of it is please let me know. not sure if this intercooler will work or not. I was told on another thread it is all crap, may be old but hope its not crap. I also have all parts from the 325i to choose from if anything there as well as a bunch of injectors and other collective parts from southern ontario scrap yards lol.

HPIM1857.jpg

HPIM1858.jpg

HPIM1859.jpg

HPIM1860-1.jpg

HPIM1903-1.jpg

HPIM1860.jpg

HPIM1861.jpg

HPIM1862.jpg

HPIM1863.jpg

HPIM1864.jpg

HPIM1866.jpg

HPIM1867.jpg

HPIM1868.jpg

HPIM1869.jpg

HPIM1870.jpg

HPIM1871.jpg

HPIM1872.jpg

HPIM1873.jpg

HPIM1874.jpg

HPIM1875.jpg

HPIM1876.jpg

HPIM1877.jpg

HPIM1878.jpg

HPIM1879.jpg

HPIM1880.jpg

HPIM1881.jpg

HPIM1882.jpg

HPIM1883.jpg

HPIM1884.jpg

HPIM1885.jpg

HPIM1897.jpg

HPIM1900.jpg

HPIM1901.jpg

HPIM1902.jpg

HPIM1903.jpg

dinanturbomanifold.jpg

Pleasew send me in the right direction.

• 8 years later...
On 12/29/2010 at 5:08 PM, BLUNT said:

easiest way is to get an s14 oil filter head and retrofit an e30 cooler

Does the S14 oil filter head send clean oil to the cooler? Reason I ask if because I want to y-fitting from to the cooler to both the turbo and back to the engine. How else do you get oil to the turbo?

When i ran S14 o/f housing i took oil to turbo from oil pressure sender location. Oil back from turbo as per factory (above oil level) or fitting to block (this is what i use now). S14 housing has a thermostat for oil circulation to cooler so not good spot to plug in something - unless you delete thermostat somehow.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91