• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any difference between 72tii and 73tii front wiring harness?

jerry

i'm in the process of completely rebuilding a very cut-up wiring harness for a 73tii that was given to me a couple years ago. i have a 72tii harness available as a guide and another 12 fuse pre-74 harness for parts. the 73tii harness is missing the section from the alternator to the regulator (seems most harnesses i've seen suffer at this location).

i'm wondering if this section is as long as a standard harness or is it shorter because the alternator is mounted lower?

additionally, at the ignition switch, it looks like someone attached a relay to the thick-black wire for some reason. i'm not familiar with a relay at this location and am tempted to remove it. i don't recall if this car had A/C ever.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

The early 12 fuse harness and the'72 Tii harness are nearly the same as your '73 Tii front wiring harness. In fact I can't think of any difference since the cold start harness is separate from the main front wiring harness. The Alternator section should reach the same for Tii as a regular roundy light 12 fuse harness as well.

The fuel pump section of the harness is a separate section that plugs in to a connector under the left side of the dash in all 12 fuse harnesses, whether tii or 02.

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Also, the cold start/tii stuff harness in the engine bay is a separate part and is still available for an OK cost. It does not come with the little rubber boot that covers the cold start connector. Look for that part under the E9 parts list for injectors or fuel pump.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

thanks guys. i appreciate the help. i'm deep into reviving this harness now. FWIW, i'm using some heat and oil resistant silicone flexible sleeving to replace the hardened, embrittled plastic OEM sleeve between the alternator and regulator. it's available from McMaster-Carr in white or black. it just can be a bear to push over the fittings sometimes. my fingers are a tad sore right now....

somewhere in this car's lifetime, someone cobbled together an alternator harness from a junkyard and skipped the horn relay entirely.

i've been able to find the rubber boot for the cold start injector; it's a straight-ahead boot, but i've been unable to find the other one that's at a right angle that goes on the water manifold sensor.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

but i've been unable to find the other one that's at a right angle that goes on the water manifold sensor.

I've been looking for that one also. It kind of looks like a spark plug wire connector at the distributor cap.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Look up this part number for the boot to fit the cold start switch,

61131363318. I ordered some new tubing from McMaster-Carr to cover the wiring to the cold start switch. Hardest part to find was the female

connectors with clip. That fits inside of the white plastic cap that attaches to the cold strart switch. I placed 4 orders before getting the correct ones.

I have a few extras if you need a couple.

Randy Anderson

ralures@aol.com

Look up this part number for the boot to fit the cold start switch,

61131363318. I ordered some new tubing from McMaster-Carr to cover the wiring to the cold start switch. Hardest part to find was the female

connectors with clip. That fits inside of the white plastic cap that attaches to the cold strart switch. I placed 4 orders before getting the correct ones.

I have a few extras if you need a couple.

Randy Anderson

ralures@aol.com

Thanks Randy. I looked up that P/N on RealOEM and it has multiple applications including E21 cars (description = Protection cap). Does it fit well?

I used the same boot as on the cold start solenoid valve, but will get the correct right angled one - Maybe BLUNT can get them.

coolantbranchafter.jpg

You can see the remains of the original boot on the switch from my 72's engine.

pics11272010025.jpg

Jim Gerock

Jim It is a much better fit than the one you used. I think it is the best one for that application that is still available. I think you would approve. It also works well on the

alternator. I have it on my list of things to order, just to have a spare, since it has several applications.

Randy Anderson

ralures@aol.com

It would be GREAT if BMW would remanufacture the portions of the wiring harness for tii's with the "rubber boots". I used to have a NOS harness with the proper (NLA) boot that goes on the temp sending unit at the front of the tii engine, but unfortunately lost it in our house fire. The boot for the cold start valve is another harness part I would love to see remanufactured.

If anyone knows of a place that can copy these parts and manufacture them, maybe we should get a group buy going...I'd be in for 2 sets!

Just a thought, as it's very unlikely BMW will ever make these parts again....but we can push them anyway???.....never hurts to "ASK"!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

It would be GREAT if BMW would remanufacture the portions of the wiring harness for tii's with the "rubber boots". I used to have a NOS harness with the proper (NLA) boot that goes on the temp sending unit at the front of the tii engine, but unfortunately lost it in our house fire. The boot for the cold start valve is another harness part I would love to see remanufactured.

If anyone knows of a place that can copy these parts and manufacture them, maybe we should get a group buy going...I'd be in for 2 sets!

Just a thought, as it's very unlikely BMW will ever make these parts again....but we can push them anyway???.....never hurts to "ASK"!

John - the cold start valve boot is available from BMW - under the E9's I think. I got mine from Rob Torres along with some other parts.

IMG_2314.jpg

pics81408004.jpg

Jim Gerock

Guys, Marc Caden found a boot that fits that connection like the original, I have posted that part number before.

Let me waddle to the shed to see if I have a spare in the bag and will report back.

Here we go, I use this on the thermotime switch

thermotimeboot.jpg

43Temperaturetimeswitch.jpg

The part number for the cold start/fifth injector is 61 13 1 352 793

Randy, do you have the part number for the sleeve from McMaster Carr?

By the way, Wuth has STILL NOT called me back.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Hi Bill. I just saw your post about the sleeve. I purchased 2 sizes from

McMaster and 1 is just right. I will look up the number tomorrow and send it to you.

I found the correct female terminals with clip from German Supply in Canada. They specialize in VW parts, but who cares they had the correct

terminal.

Happy New Year to All!

Randy Anderson