• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 but not a 1600 motor!

temujin

I found a rusty old 1600 bought it. towed it home and it has duel carbs 5 speed transmition./ I hooked up a batterie and did compression check 115 on all 3 and 4 is 120. the guy i bought it from said the head was just rebuilt and gave me all the paper work for it.he also said he bought it from someone who used to race it about 6 years ago. it just sat at his home for the past 3 years cause he had no time to get to it. Question #1 wondering if they made race motors with low compression or should it be running around 140 to 150 to be healthy. Question#2 any one seen duels like this before missing air filter or air filters? its got a screen over each one. they are 40 dcoes made in italy no#9c on both also block number is 121t and a 76 circled. will try to turn cam to see what it says when sun comes up lol.

Nothing like jumpeing in head first to a motor you no nothing about. tim

post-18053-13667635864732_thumb.jpg

These air filter/adapter things use the standard DCOE filter (like a K&N type filter).

They usually have the same bolt pattern as the DCOE's do and the air filter assembly bolts on to the top of the adapter things.

post-18053-13667635865769_thumb.jpg

post-18053-13667635867018_thumb.jpg

post-18053-13667635868008_thumb.jpg

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

Guest Anonymous

Interesting find, the image quality isn't the best but I can tell the 90 deg adapters aren't the ALPINA type (close though) and still hard to come by. What did catch my eye, and again I cant tell for sure but is there an "ALPINA" cast between the bridges on each manifold? The big round un-machined boss on the manifold closest to the radiator appears to be very similar in appearance to an early ALPINA manifold (again hard to tell).

See attached link to see what the early manifolds look like. Also noticed it looks like you have a tii head on there (since it appears that the boss for the fuel pump is unmachined) - again if I am correct very nice, valuable to a tii restorer.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2010/01/bayerischer-bastard.html

In my search for solutions to my DCOE air horn/booster clearance issue, I came across those 90deg adapters. As others note already, they are not Alpina but made by Sprint Filter in Italy. Seems they're still available according to their catalog - see page #76:

http://www.sprintfilter.net/File/SPRINTFILTERS_catalogo_auto_2009_OTTOBRE_LOW.pdf

Cheers,

Colin

1968 1602

well i took a look at the cam this morning and has numbers on the top 121 06 0080 and 39 on the bottom of it is that a tii stock cam cause the block has 121T stamped on the side wish my cell phone toook better pics sorry about that.

Guest Anonymous

Is there a number stamped on the O.D. of the flange that timing chain gear bolts to ? If its a bmw cam, that # will tell you what grind it is . unless its been reground, but start with that # first.

That car (1570677) was for sale in the April '94 BMW Roundel mag. It was in Santa Barbara, CA, and quoted as having a 2ltr mtr, 5speed, LSD & big brakes.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

hmm i know it does not have lsd jacked it up and spun the tires and they went opp. ways but it does have 2l motor breaks look regular 2002 as well

but who knows what the other owner took off of it. was there a picture of it in that mag?

Honestly cannot remember if there was picture. Most ad pics in those days were the size of a postage stamp.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17