• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PC video Racing game/simulations?

Ray_73Turkis_OH

Years ago I had the IndyCar series game with a steering wheel for a PC.

It was great fun, especially getting to run on tracks I had driven on for BMW drivers schools (Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glenn).

I was thinking of dedicating an old PC to a racing set up.

Would anyone here have an recommendations for a PC based game.

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

I've heard good things about GT Legends for the PC, but it might be anitquated by now. I gave up trying to keep up with the PC platform and switched to console game units. I purpose built my entertainment center into a dedicated driving simulator using xbox 360 as the platform. I mounted my old Corbeau passenger seat on a pedestal added a 27" TV at eye level while seated and integrated the pedals into the woodwork. The TV above lets me watch the news etc. while driving. The wheel rests in my lap when in use. Forza 1, 2, & 3 and F1 2010 have delivered untold hours of enjoyment.

Be careful though: day can turn into night then back into day without notice if you get hooked.

have fun!

-s

post-267-13667635886168_thumb.jpg

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)

rFactor seems to be pretty good, and several models of the BMW 2002 and 3 series are available.

Here's a clip of a box-flared roundie on Nordschleife in the snow. Graphics are pretty amazing. Not certain about the physics model, but reviews of the game indicate it's pretty good, and won't require you to have a liquid-nitrogen-cooled CRAY in the basement to enjoy it. I also understand that the game supports most common steering wheel and pedal setups. Since I've never actually driven a car that used a joystick or hand controller as an interface for the steering and pedals, I prefer to use a steering and pedal setup to keep things somewhat realistic.

Good luck!

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

The TV above lets me watch the news etc. while driving.

-s

driving while watching the tube isn't safe...you could hurt someone

Sometimes I like to get drunk and drive on Gran Turismo 5!

After many years with PCs.. I've switched to a PS3 for gaming needs. The new systems are quite amazing in their capabilities, and there's far less hassle than a computer. It's weird that there's a whole lot more setup needed to install games now, but it's still way better than the hassle of a computer.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Good advice, Esty. So far the body count is minimal. (years ago when I valet parked in San Francisco one of my regulars had a Sony Watchman taped to her steering wheel for "keeping entertained in traffic". So glad I was at work before and after SHE got on the road everyday.)

KFunk - I hate to admit it, but I turned a 6:45 on the Nordschleiffe after a night of cocktails with friends. My line was a bit "loose" to say the least. If they ever hold an Oktoberfest Challenge at the Nurburgring: I'm ready! :)

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)

Test Drive Unlimited 2. It comes out in February and it's pretty sweet!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2