• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I pay for a front windshield installed

justinevert

In the Dallas area, have the gasket trim strip and locking tab already.

By chance does anyone have a new late model one they don't need or a MINT used one?

TIA

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

No idea about the price but it should be 15 min job. However we just spent 2 hours with my dad installing the locking strip WITH the tools and instructions. Maybe the tool didn't match perfectly the strip profile or something but it was hard as hell. Rear screen took only about an hour.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Has to have been the tool. I assume you used lots and lots of soapy water? That is a MUST!

I've done two in the last 6 mos. to two different cars and each took less than 15 min. I have the tool from lisle w/ 4 different size/profile tips ($11?). Found it best to pull rather than push the tool with a helper pressing the locking strip firmly home just after the tool passes it and manning the spray bottle with soapy water. Greatest difficulty was getting the center piece (seam sealer) seated.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

BTW, My own car has hard, dried seals and I haven't changed them yet pending a respray.

But, the rear gasket locking strip was cracked and even had sections missing. The gasket was so hard and rigid that it's unlikely it would have ever failed to secure the rear window, but that open 1/4" channel would become a collection point for dirt, debris and water.

The rubber was too hard to try and use the lock strip and tool. So, as an interim solution, I went to NAPA and selected some rubber vacuum tubing of the correct size and bought something like 15' of it for under $14 (shoulda seen the look on the counter guy's face - they don't sell that much vac tubing in a month!).

I pressed it into the locking groove all around by hand (using soapy water to aid it) and used a plastic in-line vacuum connector to join the 2 ends on the bottom where they came together in the center, followed by a finger brush of black RTV silicone to seal the joint.

Quick, easy, cheap temporary solution. And it looks good and just like the Turbo which uses Black rather than Chrome strips.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Last year I had the cracked windscreen on the Beater removed, one taken off the parts car and put on the Beater for $100 (incl tip). The guy took about an hour but that included chatting about my 02 collection!

San Antonio prices may differ from Dallas?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1-hour labor charge

BUT! IT'S THE BODY REPAIR THAT'S REQUIRED UNDER THE SEAL

once the old is removed. Don't plan on "waiting' for this repair at some shop. The treating, filling, painting of the body openings requres

days of dry time, patience, and TIME.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I just replaced two here in the RLEIGH area. Safelite charged me $198 plus tax picked up from them. They charge 50 to install.

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

Wife recently got a rock chip that was spreading a little right in the driver's line-of-site so our State Farm Ins. replaced it at no cost to us. The Pilkington windshield was $190.06. I convinced State Farm that the old gasket and locking strip were not re-usable so they authorized the glass shop to get new ones from the dealer. Cost was $123.37 for the gasket and $32.89 for the lock strip. Installation was $100, so with tax it came to $479.90.

Now I know the whole thing could have been done a little less costly if I'd not been going thru the insurance company, but I just pass this on for reference.

Bob Napier

Justin,

Curt did mine for free....Send him a message to the TX2002 group.

He has all the tools. Between the both of us we installed a new windshield in less than an hour.

Chris

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

I just reinstalled my windshield that I removed in order to replace my dash. The gasket is 10 years old and is still soft as new. (car lives indoors.)

I tried a new trick. I installed the lock strip in the gasket prior to installing the gasket and glass to the car. IT WORKS! And it was a lot easier. No soap, no eaching over, no pulling, fighting, curing etc.

It did pop out in a couple of spots but a blunt plastic tool (actually, a Tupperware citrus peeler) was all I needed to re-seat the lock strip.

15 minutes TOTAL. I does does take 2 people to get the windshield on the car. My wife and I got it down.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam