• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who here owns a first year 02: 66/67 1600-2 or 68 2002?

bmw_jeff

1600-2

VIN 1523220
Produced: 20.4.1967
Delivered: 02.05.1967
Color: Tampico
Dealer: Now comes the interesting part
Car was sold to the Indonesian Importer but registered may 67 in Austria with an individual

Perhaps a method of saving Taxes? / Duties

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 1:31 PM, Wcox16 said:

‘68 2002 produced in June I believe. 

You don’t have to guess: email the VIN to BMW Group Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request their data on the car.

Generally within two business days, and at no cost, you’ll receive an email that provides the manufacturing date, the date that legal ownership passed to the importer (I’m assuming yours is a U.S.-spec car imported by Hoffman Motors), the factory exterior color and paint code.

Then, you can post that information here and place your car in this forum’s Registry!

Thanks and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 years later...

The BMW 1600 US VIN 1560629 was manufactured on September 28th, 1967 and delivered on October 06th, 1967 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085.

Sold new in South San Francisco by Peter Pan Motors, 698 El Camino Real, South San Francisco. Sale date 1-28-1968

Equipped at time of original sale with dealer installed Frigiking Air Conditioning.

Currently converted from original 1600-2 to 1600ti, with mostly correct and original parts.

IMG_4901.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4902-1.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Captain_Keram said:

I have a 1968 BMW 1600-2 VIN 1560816, you can find her in the registry.

My car rolled off the line a few cars after yours! I have 1560954, also in the registry.

"The BMW 1600 US VIN 1560954 was manufactured on October 17th, 1967 and delivered on November 07th, 1967 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085."

Edited by saharabetty
added information
  • Like 1

1968 BMW 1600

1974 BMW 2002

• 1 year later...

Absolutely.  The date of manufacture has little bearing on officially titled year, it can be earlier if the car sat on a dealer's lot.   My early 68 build 1600-2 is titled as a '69.   Changing the year of title is a steep up hill battle, if possible at all.  Different states' DMV's no doubt have different processes (if any).  In Colorado I was told that I would need a registered letter from the manufacturer with the date of manufacture to start the process.  The email that BMW will provide (see above in this thread) and a stack of references with VIN vs manufacture date had no effect on the bureaucrats, I gave up.

• Like 1

So it wouldn't be unheard of to see a born date December 68' 2002 with headrest and side reflectors from the dealer?  Maybe after it arrived it would have to be port or dealer installed to meet the new US safety standards?  (laws pertaining to headrest and side reflectors in 69')

From my limited knowledge and research most people agree here that 68 model cars would never have headrest.  Maybe I'm confused and only 1968 "titled" cars would not have these safety requirements where as 69 title cars build in 68 would. 

Edited by Rsnellie

The governing law relative to these changes in our cars near and after 1968 is the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Act of 1968, as amended. The law went into effect on January 1, 1968, but apparently there were various stages in which vehicles achieved full compliance over the years. My experience says that some marques achieved compliance quicker than others, and many in stages. So, with the 02 and other BMW cars in this timeframe, it is more common than not to see the safety features creeping into the cars as the manufactures installed these features, and the US safety officials approved. 1600-2 cars built in 1967 still had front seats with no headrests, no side markers, and even the gaping holes in the rear bulkhead (FMVSSA required cabin to be isolated from gas tank). I'm not sure when folks would agree that 02 cars were in full compliance with the FMVSSA, but my guess is early 70s. All the best. Robert

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 8:17 PM, Rsnellie said:

So it wouldn't be unheard of to see a born date December 68' 2002 with headrest and side reflectors from the dealer?  Maybe after it arrived it would have to be port or dealer installed to meet the new US safety standards?  (laws pertaining to headrest and side reflectors in 69')

From my limited knowledge and research most people agree here that 68 model cars would never have headrest.  Maybe I'm confused and only 1968 "titled" cars would not have these safety requirements where as 69 title cars build in 68 would. 

Eight points:

1.  U.S.-spec cars, beginning with the 1968 model year, must be identified by the manufacturer as belonging to a particular model year. They must conform to the legal requirements for that model year.

2.  The most common U.S. model year runs from approximately September 1st of the preceding calendar year to approximately August 31st of the calendar year matching the nominal model year. For example, the U.S. 1969 model year for BMW’s ran from September 1, 1968 until August 31, 1969.

3.  Notice the mismatch between model and calendar years. I’m guessing the “accelerated model year” — beginning four months before the calendar year — was a brilliant marketing creation that became, more-or-less, the rule.

4.  But the U.S. laws surrounding motor vehicles tended to apply on a calendar year basis, with hard and fast effective dates on January 1st of the calendar year matching the nominal model year.

5.  For whatever reasons — perhaps ease of planning and manufacturing enormous quantities of vehicles — U.S. manufacturers tended to incorporate those changes mandated by January 1st from the preceding September 1st, so four months ahead of the drop dead date.

6.  But for whatever reasons — perhaps the fact that BMW was a small struggling vehicle manufacturer — BMW tended to drag its feet, often incorporating those mandated changes at the last possible minute.

7.  This does not mean that all these mandated changes, for BMW, happened on January 1st. They happened before January 1st, and, sometimes, after January 1st.

8. With respect to sidemarkers and headrests, they appear to have been incorporated before a January 1, 1969 deadline.

So, yes, I would expect some 1969 model year ‘02’s manufactured in December 1968 to have sidemarkers and headrests. Unfortunately, the parts catalogue is mute as to the first VIN’s with sidemarkers or headrests. But we do have occasional surviving examples, such as VIN 1664311, a U.S. 1969 model year manufactured in December 1968. It is currently on eBay and discussed in a thread in this forum.

It has sidemarkers. Although it also has headrests, the current front seats date from after January 1973, so are not dispositive of the original front seats.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)