• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine number decode ??

tim385

Ive got a couple of spare engines but cant decode the numbers as they are not in my book they are 4261525 and 3767306 see what you guys can come up with.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

Ive got a couple of spare engines but cant decode the numbers as they are not in my book they are 4261525 and 3767306 see what you guys can come up with.

4261525 = E21 320 RHD 1977

3767306 = E21 320i LHD 1976

No guarantee on correctness, but I thinks that's right. This is what shows up if you put the VINs in Maximilian's parts Site decoder.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 3 years later...

I have a 257-3783 - what is this engine's story?

It started out as a 1500 in a little town in Germany called Rotehnburg, and like all small town engines, it dreamed of fuel injection, or maybe if it got really lucky the stardom of the S14s. It worked hard, and grew stronger year after year and decided to move to the big city. It was already pushing 1990cc by that time, and never knew that the big city would welcome m10s with such open arms. The magical words AlpinA and Schnitzer started to ring in his head, along with revolutionary DOHCs...

Read more in my book, "The story of a small town M10"

Edited by Cyclone101

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

I have a 257-3783 - what is this engine's story?

U.S. LHD car (manual transmission) manufactured In the range of April to December 1971 (April through July would be '71 model year; September through December would be '72 model year), per the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia website.

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It started out as a 1500 in a little town in Germany called Rotehnburg, and like all small town engines, it dreamed of fuel injection, or maybe if it got really lucky the stardom of the S14s. It worked hard, and grew stronger year after year and decided to move to the big city. It was already pushing 1990cc by that time, and never knew that the big city would welcome m10s with such open arms. The magical words AlpinA and Schnitzer started to ring in his head, along with revolutionary DOHCs...

Read more in my book, "The story of a small town M10"

Well played Sir...

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Awesome! I am rebuilding a 1970 and picked this engine up with the matching head. I can't find the book mentioned above? I need all sorts if info as I am just getting into this wonderful vehicle.

The "matching head" should have a month and date -- intake side of head, approximately between #3 and #4 intake ports -- consistent with the VIN date range.

As to the useful VIN decoder: bookmark it, use it, earn it!

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

Steve

Edited by Conserv

U.S. LHD car (manual transmission) manufactured In the range of April to December 1971 (April through July would be '71 model year; September through December would be '72 model year), per the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia website.

Steve

Yup, I first sat in mine (Vin 2578384) in the maternity ward delivery room in Munich 23 Sept 71.  Five days later some crazy German cheating on traffic, just about cut his leg off by my front bumper.  It was my birthday.  The next morning all cops at the police station lined up and shook my hand with apologies!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Yup, I first sat in mine (Vin 2578384) in the maternity ward delivery room in Munich 23 Sept 71.  Five days later some crazy German cheating on traffic, just about cut his leg off by my front bumper.  It was my birthday.  The next morning all cops at the police station lined up and shook my hand with apologies!

Sounds a bit stressful, Jim!

So given a September 23rd, 1971, delivery(?) date, yours was presumably an early U.S. '72 model? Ordered Stateside, or from Europe? Ordered July-ish, or earlier? Manufactured when? Sorry, I can't resist dating details!

Best,

Steve

Sounds a bit stressful, Jim! So given a September 23rd, 1971, delivery(?) date, yours was presumably an early U.S. '72 model? Ordered Stateside, or from Europe? Ordered July-ish, or earlier? Manufactured when? Sorry, I can't resist dating details!

Stressful, you bet.  Had to be subjected to the border guards at every crossing.  I had a police report that I got used to holding out the window for their review.

Ordered US, US import model, don't have the exact mfr date.  The dates that everyone seems to get are a little fuzzy anyway because they all seem to be the Hoffman title transfer date.  I had to wait a couple days in Munich for the car to be ready but we enjoyed the real Octoberfest.  Those 2 liter German beers!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Stressful, you bet.  Had to be subjected to the border guards at every crossing.  I had a police report that I got used to holding out the window for their review.

Ordered US, US import model, don't have the exact mfr date.  The dates that everyone seems to get are a little fuzzy anyway because they all seem to be the Hoffman title transfer date.  I had to wait a couple days in Munich for the car to be ready but we enjoyed the real Octoberfest.  Those 2 liter German beers!

Agreed! There are worse places to kill two days than Munich!

Thanks,

Steve