• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are there so many Red 2002s?

jgerock

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a lot of repainted '02's with either Verona or Verona-ish paint on top. (over Sahara usually) In this region, Sahara & Malaga duke it out for the #1 spot. I would say that Chamonix is next, followed by Verona or Agave... Golf, Inka, & Colorado, are pretty rare here. Oddly, Fjord is rare here also. We do have a Turkis roundie close by.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Here's another one for you Jim.

Just picked this up and it is 7 cars away from my tii. They are both malaga tii's with sunroofs... My car is 2762999 and the rust bucket is 2763006. I got a laugh out of the late nose complete with the big bumper.

Pretty cool find.

KC

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Jim Denker mentioned all the red repaints.

Another possibility is that a lot of new cars were ordered red by the US distributor Hoffman Motors. At least for the earlier cars.

When I bought my only new BMW, an Inka 72 2002, BMWs were still pretty rare, even in the urban areas. The supply did not meet demand, especially as there was a period when the dollar kept losing value against the German mark and prices kept rising dramatically. Dealers did not encourage special orders. If you did not want to wait for many months, you had to take what they got in.

On the other hand, it was not at all unusual to be able to sell a few-year old 2002 for close to what you paid for it.

I also think that people tended to cherish the more popular colors and that helped these cars survive over the years.

There were a lot of different colors around though. I tried to come with all the 02s I have had over the years. Many were parts cars.

72 2002 Inka

74 tii, Fjord (I repainted it Inka after the second Fjord paint job failed after only a few years.

68 2002 Polaris (parts)

67 1600 Bristol

68 1600 Sahara (parts)

69 1600 Chamonix

69 2002 Nevada

73 tii Verona (parts)

72 2002 Malaga (parts)

70 2002ti Golf (parts)

72 2002 Malaga (still have)

It seemed to me that in the early 70s in the Washington DC area, the common colors for 02s were (in no particular order) Malaga, Inka, Agave, Riviera, Chamonix, Sahara, Verona and Polaris. Hmm, I don't remember any other metallics! Maybe Baikal blue.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Here's another one for you Jim.

Just picked this up and it is 7 cars away from my tii. They are both malaga tii's with sunroofs... My car is 2762999 and the rust bucket is 2763006. I got a laugh out of the late nose complete with the big bumper.

Pretty cool find.

KC

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Wow - what a find KC. I see the mix and match wheels (early front, late rears). what are your plans for this one?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hey Jim,

This one is pretty rusty... Didn't get back until it was getting dark so I did not have a good chance too look it over. The amount of rust is pretty considerable so I figure that this will be a parts car, total bummer...

I was pretty surprised to find two tii steelies in the trunk, that makes 5 total plus the late steely.. It looks like they were a fairly recent purchase judging by paint and the condition.

IMG_0154.jpg

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

I've had about 15 '02's between running and parts cars, and my first red one is the Verona touring. It seems that the most common colors here were Sahara, Chamonix and Malaga.

Harry - the picture of the Baikal tii is in Puerto Rico - do you know this car?

Jim Gerock

I've had about 15 '02's between running and parts cars, and my first red one is the Verona touring. It seems that the most common colors here were Sahara, Chamonix and Malaga.

Yes, it is owned by a friend of mine and is getting an S14. The owner is the same one who owns the Chamonix M2.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Yes, it is owned by a friend of mine and is getting an S14. The owner is the same one who owns the Chamonix M2.

Thanks Harry - that tii is really nice (almost a shame to change it to S14 though).

Jim Gerock