• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are there so many Red 2002s?

jgerock

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What color green is this? Picture from Chapterfest 2010

THAT IS JADEGRUN ( JADE GREEN )

MY FIRST 2002 WAS THAT COLOR . WE REALLY LIKE THAT ONE BUT

FOOLISHLY SOLD IT ( # 2364052 ) BECAUSE OF EMISSIONS LAWS ENCROACHMENT .

THAT WAS A BIG MISTAKE IN RETROSPECT AS THEY ARE NOW EMISSIONS EXEMPT .

LAST I HEARD IT WAS IN CHAPEL HILL , NC . I BET IT DOESN'T HAVE THE MAHLE WHEELS ANYMORE .

MY FAVORITE 2002 COLOR IS FJORD BLUE .

SINCE WE ARE TALKING RED , WHAT ABOUT GRANATROT ?

THAT IS A METALLIC RED .

reodor.gif

Why so many red 2002's? Dunno. Why so few Turkis 2002's?

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

It's because Malaga (and Sahara and Fjord) were the color picked by the responsible 02 owners who didn't hotrod the @#$@# out of them in the 80s and 90s. That's my theory anyway. Heck if I can explain Verona though; popular repaint color maybe?

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

determined by what Max Hoffman ordered. We know pretty much for sure that at least the early 2002s were available in more colors than were offered here in the US, as evidenced by Euro delivery US cars in colors that aren't in the US sales literature (Manila, Turf, Bristol etc).

At least in the early years, Granada was the only bright color available for 2002s--the other colors were Nevada, Chamoix, Polaris & Baikal (last two were extra cost options).

US cars differed from "rest of the world" cars, so were built in batches on the assembly line; I think the colors were also run in batches, as they were painted by people with spray guns, not robots.

Knowing German propinsity for statistics, I'll bet there are some figures on color distribution....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I always heard that red makes the car go faster...good enough reason to own one in red!

I've had five 02s in the past 16 years and three were red...colors as follows:

1970 02 Granada Red

1975 02 Chaminox White

1971 02 Malaga Red

1973 Tii Malaga Red (repaint that was slightly lighter than true Malaga)

1972 Tii Agave Green

Additionally I currently own a '72 Tii parts/project car that is Malaga red....

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

I've had about 15 '02's between running and parts cars, and my first red one is the Verona touring. It seems that the most common colors here were Sahara, Chamonix and Malaga.

Harry - the picture of the Baikal tii is in Puerto Rico - do you know this car?

Yes, it is owned by a friend of mine and is getting an S14. The owner is the same one who owns the Chamonix M2.

Thanks Harry - that tii is really nice (almost a shame to change it to S14 though).

Yup, I would've left it with the M10. The PO had removed the FI system because it was not working well (maybe it just needed some tuning), but it was all in the trunk. Back when my friend bought the car, I offered to swap it for my Schwarz 2002 plus some money so he could go to town with it and I could get the tii back to almost stock. Alas, he doesn't care much for squaries.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Here is mine, originally Verona. I had it painted Audi Brilliant red (hey at least its still a German car)

damn Nick..how did you polish those bumpers again?

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

I took them off of the car, took th efront rubber off. Then I used an orbital sander. Started at 100 grit. Sanded until it had no more stratches etc. Then moved to about 220 grit. and sanded all until uniform. then 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 final. Then hit them with mothers and a cloth. They turned out like freaking mirrors. It only took about 45 minutes or less per bumper.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle