• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BBC series on Electric endurance team

TonyHavana

meh, not to be a buzzkill or anything, but what they're doing really isn't that impressive. They took a car that weighed 1300lbs, replaced the hayabusa motor with two eletric motors and a lot of batteries...along with 1100lbs. It's not fast by any sense of the word(DP1e will do 0-100km/hr in the mid 4's and has a higher top speed with smaller tires). Range comes from massive batteries as evident by the weight. The 400hp claim sounds suspect to me, electric motors make insane amounts of torque and usually not as much HP. It drains the batteries really fast running them at higher RPM.

I wish some car manufacturers stateside would start donating vehicles to major engineering schools.

Having been out on a test day with the DP1e I'm very impressed by it, especially considering the design team is 1 person. If you're given a car sans motor, in the scope of things, it's not that hard to convert it to electric the way that university did.

Not electric, but "green" and I think a lot more innovative/interesting. http://www.worldfirstracing.co.uk/