• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removal of nut at top of strut

billw

Well I worked all morning and finally got the strut off the car, I have the spring compressed but cannot budge the nut at the top. Haynes says to use a spanner to hold the piston? Not sure I know what a spanner is? when I turn the nut the whole piston turns. I tried holding the the very tip with a wrench and tried to remove the nut, only stripped the end. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

little brute strength and I got it.........Thanks

1973 2002 Chamonix sunroof (soon to be M42 swap)
2015 Ford Explorer-Wife
1999 Jeep Cherokee

1991 318i convertible (donor)

Different struts have different ends. We just did Bilstein HD on the front of a 1991 318is. We used an 8mm 1/4" drive socket on the top of the strut and passed a long 1/4" drive extension through the hole in a 1/2" drive deep wall socket that went on the strut nut. We ground flats on the top of the deep wall and grabbed it with a 19mm wrench. Held the center and turned the nut. This was after air impact didn't do the job. On the other side nothing worked so we chiseled the lock nut and removed a section then did the procedure above. I may cut through a socket and weld a handle on it so I can use 3/8 or 1/2 drive on the center nut next time. I had one strut once with flats on 2 sides of the center shaft that got the chisel treatment immediately.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

thanks guys for all the help, got all the innards out of the strut and called it a night, I will hit it first thing in the morning. I used to consider myself an above average mechanic, after today, Im a slightly below average mechanic! Hopefully the other side will be smoother. Could not have done it without this forum tho.

Bill

2015 Ford Explorer-Wife
1999 Jeep Cherokee

Impact wrench, worked miracles for me!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

...NEXT TIME - you loosen the nut up a bunch of turns

first, while the car is still all together and sitting on the ground.

(spanner) wrench

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Just wanted to say thanks to all. Took me 4 days (a couple hours a day) to do struts and ball joints on one side and just three hours to do the other. Then I realized I needed some dust covers (bellows) so I un-did enough to pull the strut assembly out from under the wheel well and put new bellows on. One strut had next to no oil in it. I can now drink a cup of coffee while I'm driving to work.

Thanks for the help,

Bill

2015 Ford Explorer-Wife
1999 Jeep Cherokee