• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting a motor OUT of a car.

eurotrash

Here's mine, built a frame from some old unistrut and mounted the engine to it.

It's screwed to a furniture dolly and very stable even when revving it up.

I know there's no radiator but I just built it to make sure it ran when I first got it so I could be sure I didn't get ripped off. I don't usually run it anymore except when I need to take a vid so I can post it on a forum or something.

Link to vid:

S14%20engine%20stand%201.jpg

S14%20engine%20stand%202.jpg

S14%20engine%20stand%203.jpg

S14%20engine%20stand%204.jpg

S14%20engine%20stand%205.jpg

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

If all you want to do is check compression, you can just set it on the garage floor and crank it with the plugs out, so it won't start.

yes. original q was about compression check. engine does not need to be able to run for that or a leakdown test. just need power for the starter for comp test. don't need anything for a leakdown.

no, you won't be able to get a warm compression check this way, but you will be able to see if the cyls are even.

2xM3

...I just use a spare car that's sitting around...

oh, wait, no, that's my daily driver!

Works to test transmissions and diffs, too.

Altho the welded 4.44 WAS a bit of a handful on the street.

Seriously, engine swaps take something like 8 hours

if you have someone to help- and go get chili for lunch.

A lot less time than building a serious stand.

I HAVE thought about getting one running on an engine

stand...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Many, many years ago, I was putting a small block Chevy into a Healey and I had the smart idea of starting the engine on the garage floor before installing it.

It started right up, flipped over onto my foot and nearly broke it. --------- Newton's first law of motion learned the hard way.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

This is 100% not BMW related, but a real cool fellow I work with built up this tuning rig for a 434 EFI Small Block Chevy he rebuilt - and the level of detail is astonishing. This engine is now back in his C4 Corvette and ran 11.5 et @124.5mph - on pump gas this past October. Enjoy the video!

That's wicked overkill for a one time use, unless he's going to store extra engines on it. Nice work for sure.

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan