• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet pads held in with snaps? Which cars?

SteveJ

On my 72 tii the carpet pads in the back are held in with metal snaps. The male portion of the snap is screwed into the floors, the female snap is on the carpet pad.

Is this the norm for early cars? I seem to recall seeing it both ways on my cars, but it could be that the snaps had been removed by a previous owner on one of them.

Just trying to decide if I will leave the snaps and add the female part to my new carpet set. If I pull the snaps, then I have to seal up the holes. I'll do that, but only if they don't belong there.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

the snaps became obsolete with the introduction of the one-piece molded carpet originally used on the squaretails.

as you know, most carpet replacement kits are 14-piece and snapless. i use a lot of contact cement to keep the pieces in place. snaps would be good, but not absolutely necessary.

ask yourself this: are you intending to enter your car in a car show such as pebble beach???

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Not Pebble Beach, but maybe Salinas (Concours du LeMons).

The snaps are in place and work well. They hold the carpet, but are not difficult to remove for when you spill coolant in the back footwell.

Also wondering if there were snaps for the front pads.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

side in the rear footwell carpets. Fronts were kinda glued down, but not too firm so as to allow access to the pedal bucket without tearing anything.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite