• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feeler... 1600 with Metric Mechanic 2.2

malagalaga

I hate these "feeler" posts, but I'm going to go ahead and make one anyway...

My car is a '71 1600, one of the last US-spec 1600s. It's an original Texas car that has never lived out of the Dallas/Fort Worth area. As a result, any rust it has is due more to age and occasional exposure to rain than salt. There's some light bubbling at one corner of the rear window and a little under a few chrome pieces where paint has scraped away. But you have to be within a foot or two to see anything. And nothing couldn't be easily fixed.

It has received a new nose, fenders and hood lid at some point, as well as a circa 2004 Maaco paint job (not on my watch). No longer Nevada, it is now something closer to Sahara. It's a good 10 footer and actually a decent job by Maaco standards (the receipt is something like $2000 - nuts!). Body is visually straight and it has great early chrome bumpers. Interior is correct '71 brown with good uncut panels. I replaced the torn seat centers with a courdoroy-like cloth that is a dead ringer for the Euro 1600 I saw at the BMW museum in Munich. Dash could use a cover. Non sunroof.

The best part about the car is definitely its Metric Mechanic 2.2 with a Weber 32/38 mated to a four speed. I estimate it has somewhere between 50 and 65k on the engine. It feels every bit of the 155 horsepower - for an '02, it positively flies. It was once set up as quite a corner carver as it has upgraded swaybars.

And I've put some money into it...

- tii steel wheels with decent hubcaps and good Pirelli 185 tires

- new headgasket last year

- reman. Bosch alternator going in it as I type this

- new fluids throughout

- decent 320 steering wheel

- aforementioned good interior

- lots of new bushings

- new parcel shelf

- new roundels

- new front seatbelts

- new US spec turn signals

- thorough going through and fixing little bugs, like gauges, lights, lining up bumpers, etc

Also good news:

- glass is good all around

- has a/c that blows but not real cold

- has correct 1600 grilles (rare!)

needs front struts and some brake work. Has 320i drums but some light fluid leaking.

I'm debating putting the money into it myself or just selling it to concentrate on a more original car. I use the car very little, so I'm probably the perfect candidate for a borderline trailer queen.

Any interest? Suggestions on a price tag? Given the solid body and Metric Mechanic four, it would make a great lightly modified car. As a 1600, it probably isn't a restoration candidate, but it's a heck of a solid platform.

Anyone interested in talking about it? Some photos that were on my computer... some of these are pretty old, so things have changed.

bmws.th.jpg

p1010767h.th.jpg

p1020134k.th.jpg

p1000877i.th.jpg

p1000878en.th.jpg

p1000879g.th.jpg

p1050413.th.jpg

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Man I hate to see you sell it but I bet you would enjoy a more original car as well. Or maybe you can pick up a sweet M2. Anyway I think the 7k range is good for your car. The MM motor makes it very worth it as well.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle