• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for a BMW 5 series Wagon. 8-15K budget

Armond

For reliable, avoid anything with a V8. I'd go for a '03 525i with a manual transmission. And standard (non-air) rear suspension. Failing that, the newest E39 6 cylinder (525i or 528i) with a manual transmission you can find or afford.

Keep on top of the cooling system and it's otherwise a very reliable car as far as newer BMWs go.

Thinking about selling mine, it's a fully loaded '06 530iX Wagon steptronic, white with beige interior. KBB private party value $23,935.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

you want a 2001 bmw 540i with a 6 speed manual. Then you want to swap in the rear end out of a E39 M5(any year)

and you have one kickass machine

BMW did not make the 540i wagon with the six speed, only automatics. I had one and my advice is avoid that car. The V8s are high ticket items and the tranny suck and fail, too. IMHO, the wagon to get is an e39 528it with the sport pack and manual tranny. As with all modern BMWs, the cooling system is the first question mark. Other than that, it is a robust, solid car. Hard to find, though....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

manual -> auto swap ;)

only thing I hated about the 540i I used to work on was the radiator constantly failing. There isn't much wrong with the 528it however, it is a slow vehicle.. even in manual form. The M52 isn't a bad engine, it just isn't suited for that car of that size IMO. The lack of HP compared to the torque really shows with the 528's when you compare them to the 530's of later date. Just one opinion...

my name's Nick

manual -> auto swap ;)

If you're doing a swap to make a performance machine, the swap to do is an S38 into an e34 wagon or even the 4.4 v8/six speed in the same car. It's a better starting point and cooler project, IMHO. But that's a whole different story....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

• 7 months later...
manual -> auto swap ;)

only thing I hated about the 540i I used to work on was the radiator constantly failing. There isn't much wrong with the 528it however, it is a slow vehicle.. even in manual form. The M52 isn't a bad engine, it just isn't suited for that car of that size IMO. The lack of HP compared to the torque really shows with the 528's when you compare them to the 530's of later date. Just one opinion...

I like the BMW 540i. So far I have not deal with any problem regarding the radiator.

Very sexy car.

IMG_6197.jpg

Apparently they all need rear suspension bushings. I have talked my mechanic in to replacing mine which involves him ordering a new tool. Even still I will come in well under your 8k lower budget range. You should be able to find a pretty nice one in your budget range. I went for the first one I looked at which seems to be my M.O. A 1999 528it non sport. Really comfortable car. Slow as mentioned above but competent once up to speed. The 6 bangers have all aluminum front subframe (rears as well) where as the v8s have steel front subframes. V8s have their steering rack located differently as well I believe.

There is some confusion at least for myself about engines. The buyers guide in bimmer says that all wagons use the m54 motor that is all aluminum and shared with the E46. This I take to mean that it is the same motor as in my wife's 330i. But questions on bimmerforums as well as the drive test somewhat convince me that the motor is not the same (not much willingness to rev but good for cruising). Although I'm pretty sure my block is aluminum. Like I said a good motor for cruising and good mileage to boot with the auto (non step for me).

I love it so far and definitely see more in my future. I'm using it as a work truck.